E tuning slide for Rath R9D?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Is it possible and a regularly done thing for people to get an E tuning slide in place of the second trigger Gb tuning slide on dependent bass trombones, so that when both triggers are engaged one could play a C1 in first?
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

I'm sure some people have done it, though I don't hear about it very often. You also lose some of the nice positions a Gb valve gives.
ttf_Catastrophone

Post by ttf_Catastrophone »

I'm sure Mick can make you a tuning slide any length you want. Whether it's of benefit on a dependent horn (you'll still be blowing through both valves) is a different matter. You might also not like the extra weight.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: doublepedalBb442 on Jul 13, 2017, 10:08AMIs it possible and a regularly done thing for people to get an E tuning slide in place of the second trigger Gb tuning slide on dependent bass trombones, so that when both triggers are engaged one could play a C1 in first?

I have extra tube on my indi that puts the second valve into D by itself.... a really free blow plus Bb,A and Ab as second harmonics.... useful at times.

Chris Stearn
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I met a guy who had a Bach 50B2 like what you are asking.  Very strong player.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

I think the TO said "dependent" in error, when they meant "independent". Otherwise replacing a Gb valve with an E valve to give C1 makes no sense.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

How does it not make sense? I in fact did mean dependent. Thumb trigger F slide + E second trigger slide should sound C when engaged together in first position.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I think just because being dependent it is tuned to what it is. First is F and second would be C. It couldn't be E on its own because the first valve has to be engaged.

I had thought about doing this also ( I was going to experiment with some tuning to see if I even liked the compromise ), but I never got around to it. However it should be easy to make and useful if you want to use it.

I also had a Holton TR181 and could pull the second slide out to E. But I didn't even use the second trigger enough back then to care what it was tuned to. Now with more technical playing in the bands I'm in I still think and independent G att would be much more useful
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I see what you mean now, I was merely referring to "E" to refer to the length of the slide even though it would be unusable. Also, Doug Yeo makes a reference on his website to possibly the 50B2 player mentioned above. https://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/valves.html

ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Quote from: doublepedalBb442 on Jul 14, 2017, 06:19AMHow does it not make sense? I in fact did mean dependent. Thumb trigger F slide + E second trigger slide should sound C when engaged together in first position.
  Ahh, now I understand. I mean, it is interesting, and if that tuning worked for you, go for it.

I've always felt that having the second valve go to Db may make "more sense" in that it moves in the B natural a bit, and is more balanced, the first valve changing the key down a fourth, and the second valve moving it down a major third, instead of a minor third.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Quote from: doublepedalBb442 on Jul 14, 2017, 06:19AMHow does it not make sense? I in fact did mean dependent. Thumb trigger F slide + E second trigger slide should sound C when engaged together in first position.
  Ahh, now I understand. I mean, it is interesting, and if that tuning worked for you, go for it.

I've always felt that having the second valve go to Db may make "more sense" in that it moves in the B natural a bit, and is more balanced, the first valve changing the key down a fourth, and the second valve moving it down a major third, instead of a minor third.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”