Trombonium, tenor horn, or baritone horn?

ttf_bbocaner

Post by ttf_bbocaner »

Quote from: DaveBb on Jul 19, 2017, 02:24PMInterestingly Yamaha's Neo (top of the range) doesn't have a 4th valve whereas their next level down YBH-621S does have one. Yamaha's blurb says that they designed the Neo from the bottom up and put a lot of effort into tweaking the sound and player response...
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/baritones/ybh-831/develop.html#product-tabs

I spoke with Katrina (who developed the instrument with Yamaha) about that and she told me it was impossible to get the desired projection and tone color out of the instrument with the extra weight and bracing of a 4-valve system. I believe it, the Neo is an amazing instrument to play. I ended up getting rid of my 4-v Besson Prestige in favor of the Neo. It has required me to go back to the practice shed and start over with Clarke, Nagel, etc., and it has ruled out some solo literature, but it's worth it.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jul 19, 2017, 06:29PMIt's like bass trombone players sticking with single valve or dependant horns instead of using an Indy horn. Sure they could use the more advance piece of technology but they're stuck in their ways and prefer the older style of instrument.Those who stick with singles usually do so because of weight; those who prefer dependent valves usually cite a preference for only blowing though one valve on the open horn.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: JohnL on Jul 20, 2017, 07:36AMThose who stick with singles usually do so because of weight; those who prefer dependent valves usually cite a preference for only blowing though one valve on the open horn.
Yes and no...

My main horns are a dependent and a single and I'm so used to playing a dependent or a single that indy horns just feel weird to me... things center a bit different and the openness of the horn is a bit different. So you're totally right on that!

But the real reason that I don't use an indy is because I'm too stubborn to bother learning how to use one Image Maybe I'm just weird Image I mean I really would love to have the extra valve facility!!! I'm just stuck in my ways at this point.

I'm also of the opinion that Euphs and British Baritones don't need tuning triggers... but that's because I'm soooo used to lipping notes and using alt fingerings that I just don't want to deal with learning how to use a tuning trigger haha.

Maybe a better comparison would be driving stick or automatic. Sure you might save gas using a manual but it's a bit of a drag and automatic is just easier to use. Manual cars suuuuure are cool though!! and there are the few die hards out there that only drive manual cars just because they can.

I might be young but I'm old and stubborn at heart Image
ttf_bbocaner

Post by ttf_bbocaner »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Yesterday at 01:23 AMMaybe a better comparison would be driving stick or automatic. Sure you might save gas using a manual but it's a bit of a drag and automatic is just easier to use. Manual cars suuuuure are cool though!! and there are the few die hards out there that only drive manual cars just because they can.

Not anymore! The latest generation of 8-speed marvel-of-technology automatic transmissions are more efficient and can handle more power than manual transmissions. It's sad, because there's very little that feels quite as good as a perfectly rev-matched double clutched heel-and-toe downshift where the shift lever just blips right into gear with zero resistance. It's very fun!! But it's looking increasingly like you'll have to get a vintage car to continue to enjoy that.
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I have an oval Cerveny euphonium. They are solid horns and play nice. My tech added a movable main tuning slide.
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I have an oval Cerveny euphonium. They are solid horns and play nice. My tech added a movable main tuning slide.

Return to “Instruments”