Curtois 360B report

ttf_Ryebone

Curtois 360B report

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

New to me and on a purchase trial is this 360B dual bore, claimed .525 - .547, yellow brass bell and slide. The only mention of another Curtois 360B that I have found is from a post by Sue in 2008. It appears to be very similar in shape to an 88H closed wrap and all. Heavier than my Yamaha 682g and with a slightly awkward trigger paddle position but well balanced. For me the sound is remarkably different than Conn. It is brighter but without any edge and there is a compact meaty core. Fortissimo's are splatless. Like my '51 78H the horn is alive and subtly vibrates when played. Trigger range is open and plays as well as I can. The notes seem to slot easily and my upper range sings and speaks even easier than the 78H (rose bell). I'm waiting on a '30's era Conn 14H dual bore to compare it with and decide which will live here.   
ttf_Ryebone

Curtois 360B report

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

New to me and on a purchase trial is this 360B dual bore, claimed .525 - .547, yellow brass bell and slide. The only mention of another Curtois 360B that I have found is from a post by Sue in 2008. It appears to be very similar in shape to an 88H closed wrap and all. Heavier than my Yamaha 682g and with a slightly awkward trigger paddle position but well balanced. For me the sound is remarkably different than Conn. It is brighter but without any edge and there is a compact meaty core. Fortissimo's are splatless. Like my '51 78H the horn is alive and subtly vibrates when played. Trigger range is open and plays as well as I can. The notes seem to slot easily and my upper range sings and speaks even easier than the 78H (rose bell). I'm waiting on a '30's era Conn 14H dual bore to compare it with and decide which will live here.   

Return to “Instruments”