Screw Bell Mod

ttf_Hitioshi

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_Hitioshi »

Hi all,
I want to know the average price for converting a bell into a screw bell with the ring and all. 

Are there techs that are known for doing it and worth mailing to?

Is there a difference in price for a 7.5in bell and an 8.5inch bell?

I've been going to Best Repairs in Oakland for years whenever I need a repair and just want to get some recommendations.

Thanks!
ttf_Horn Builder

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

I've done many screw bell conversions on both trombone and french horn. There are some questions that need answers before I can give you definitive answers.

What instrument are you looking at converting? There would be no difference in price because of the flare diameter. (Or are you asking about having 2 bell flares mated to one stem?)

Price would be dependent on several factors, such as what sort of shape is the bell in before cutting? (If the bell is not round, it has to be made as close as possible to round before mounting the ring) Also the degree of re-finishing required. IS the bell detachable from the body/valve section?

Ideally, the bell would be measured and a ring would be machined to fit it specifically.

M

ttf_greenbean

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Dick is the only tech in the Bay Area that I would consider using.  Otherwise, I would send it to a shop that specializes in horn repair...   
ttf_schlitzbeer

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: greenbean on Jul 17, 2017, 07:44PMDick is the only tech in the Bay Area that I would consider using.  Otherwise, I would send it to a shop that specializes in horn repair...   

Good customer service?
ttf_Hitioshi

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_Hitioshi »

Quote from: Horn Builder on Jul 17, 2017, 07:36PMI've done many screw bell conversions on both trombone and french horn. There are some questions that need answers before I can give you definitive answers.

What instrument are you looking at converting? There would be no difference in price because of the flare diameter. (Or are you asking about having 2 bell flares mated to one stem?)

Price would be dependent on several factors, such as what sort of shape is the bell in before cutting? (If the bell is not round, it has to be made as close as possible to round before mounting the ring) Also the degree of re-finishing required. IS the bell detachable from the body/valve section?

Ideally, the bell would be measured and a ring would be machined to fit it specifically.

M

It would be for my Bach 42B to make it more travel friendly.  I've so far been lucky taking my horn to China with no problem in my Eastman case.  I'm just debating it also because my Bach is also a corporation model...

I'd probably leave it unlacquered after the mod, I rather own a player that a beauty contest winnet.
ttf_Hitioshi

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_Hitioshi »

Quote from: greenbean on Jul 17, 2017, 07:44PMDick is the only tech in the Bay Area that I would consider using.  Otherwise, I would send it to a shop that specializes in horn repair...   

I took in my Bass for Brian to fix the trigger recently and he was great!  Did a great job while I waited.  No vibe at all, just asked what I needed and got to it.  I was out of there in 15mins! I trust that they do good repairs, I just don't know about customizing and mods yet...
ttf_jimkinkella

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

I would expect a price around $3-400ish.
I've done it to a few horns, always very happy with the results.
Matt is the expert on the thread, I definitely trust what he says.
I wouldn't hesitate to use M&W any day (if they're doing custom jobs these days).
I've had my bells cut by John Sandhagen in LA, Brad Close also does excellent work.
It seems like MK Drawing and Mike Olsen are the latest additions to the screw ring parts markets, Shires has a set up for 8"-8.5"
Everyone who does this work is a nerd, and likes to talk about it, so don't be shy about giving them a call to discuss as long as you're serious.
Jim
ttf_jimkinkella

Screw Bell Mod

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

I would expect a price around $3-400ish.
I've done it to a few horns, always very happy with the results.
Matt is the expert on the thread, I definitely trust what he says.
I wouldn't hesitate to use M&W any day (if they're doing custom jobs these days).
I've had my bells cut by John Sandhagen in LA, Brad Close also does excellent work.
It seems like MK Drawing and Mike Olsen are the latest additions to the screw ring parts markets, Shires has a set up for 8"-8.5"
Everyone who does this work is a nerd, and likes to talk about it, so don't be shy about giving them a call to discuss as long as you're serious.
Jim

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”