Breaking in a new slide

ttf_HeyPauly

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_HeyPauly »

Any tips on breaking in a brand new slide?
ttf_BGuttman

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Clean it fairly often at first to make sure you get all the machining compounds out of the brass.

Plan on lubricating it more often in the beginning.  I use cream and I over-lube it and wipe off a lot (helps flush out the machining compounds).  Don't know if SOM would do it as well.

Someone suggested stale milk.  That turns my stomach.  I sure didn't do it with any of the new trombones I bought.
ttf_HeyPauly

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_HeyPauly »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 02:57 PMClean it fairly often at first to make sure you get all the machining compounds out of the brass.

Plan on lubricating it more often in the beginning.  I use cream and I over-lube it and wipe off a lot (helps flush out the machining compounds).  Don't know if SOM would do it as well.

Someone suggested stale milk.  That turns my stomach.  I sure didn't do it with any of the new trombones I bought.

Thanks for the advice, I will try what you said. I have been using Yamaha slide lubricant, it seems to work pretty good.
ttf_Posaunus

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: HeyPauly on Yesterday at 04:14 PMThanks for the advice, I will try what you said. I have been using Yamaha slide lubricant, it seems to work pretty good.

You should be fine.  For the first several uses, after you're done playing wipe off the lube from the inner slide with a clean cloth, and run a cleaning swab (such as the H.W. Products Brass-Saver) and a cloth-wrapped cleaning rod through the outer slide.  When the cloth emerges clean, you've removed all the manufacturing residue and should be good to adopt your normal slide hygiene protocol (which in my case is the same as this break-in procedure - but I'm anal-compulsive about my slides!).   
ttf_hyperbolica

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Yeah, lube a lot, spray a lot of water, clean inners and outers every day. And play a lot of scales. Newer horns seem to prefer the yamasnot. Olddr horns like cream with silicone drops.
ttf_BillO

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_BillO »

And don't worry too much about it.  The advice so far is sound but you should not have to do anything special after a week or two.  Modern slides from reputable manufacturers are pretty good and don't require a lot of break-in.

The last trombone I bought (a few weeks back) did not seem to require any break-in.  I wiped the inners daily, but no residue was found and it was as slick as a greased pig out of the case..
ttf_HeyPauly

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_HeyPauly »

Quote from: BillO on Yesterday at 09:19 PMAnd don't worry too much about it.  The advice so far is sound but you should not have to do anything special after a week or two.  Modern slides from reputable manufacturers are pretty good and don't require a lot of break-in.

The last trombone I bought (a few weeks back) did not seem to require any break-in.  I wiped the inners daily, but no residue was found and it was as slick as a greased pig out of the case..

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm not sure how reputable the manufacturer the manufacturer is but I am pleased with my new trombone.
ttf_HeyPauly

Breaking in a new slide

Post by ttf_HeyPauly »

Quote from: BillO on Yesterday at 09:19 PMAnd don't worry too much about it.  The advice so far is sound but you should not have to do anything special after a week or two.  Modern slides from reputable manufacturers are pretty good and don't require a lot of break-in.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm not sure how reputable the manufacturer the manufacturer is but I am pleased with my new trombone.

Return to “Instruments”