Rotax valves

ttf_greenbean

Rotax valves

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Hi techs!  Image

Let's say I plan to replace a Bach 42 rotor with a Rotax.  They are available is .559", .590" or .598.  I am guessing I need the .590 bore size.  I would probably replace the gooseneck with the more open one that Bach makes.

Any thoughts?  Or other random comments?...

ttf_Matt K

Rotax valves

Post by ttf_Matt K »

.590 is bass bore, you're going to want the .559" bore one even if your tubing is nominally .562. 

That said, there are a few older threads with people replacing their Bach 42 rotors with 50 or otherwise bass rotors. I recall someone selling a Shires bell with a Bach 50 rotor as well perhaps in 2014 too.  Shires did some experiments with that type of setup and found it made the intonation very quirky (basically quite flat, memory serving).

If you're going to replace the neckpipe portion, consider getting the ones that Brad Close makes.  Heard very good things and you might stand a chance at getting it sometime this decade  Image 

Also, maybe consider the Olsen valve (the guy who makes the Infinity Thayers). I've not known anyone who has put the rotors on personally but lots of praise here about the Thayers. And they're about half the price of a Rotax.
ttf_greenbean

Rotax valves

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Yes, I meant to say .559. 

Hmm.. the 50 valve is an interesting idea.  That would be VERY affordable!  If anyone here has done that, I would love to hear about it. 
ttf_greenbean

Rotax valves

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Yes, I meant to say .559. 

Hmm.. the 50 valve is an interesting idea.  That would be VERY affordable!  If anyone here has done that, I would love to hear about it. 

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”