Griego 5 large bore tenor mouthpiece

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello,
At the moment, I am considering obtaining a Griego 5 large bore tenor trombone mouthpiece. There does not seem to be much specific comment on this on the internet. What are people's experiences of this mouthpiece?
Regarding sizes: Griego's specifications state that the cup is a bit deeper than a Bach 5G. However, how does the cup depth of the Griego 5 compare to the Schilke 51 (which I know)? Is it somewhere between the Bach and the Schilke in size?
Looking at photos, the rim seems to be semi-flat, with a sharp inner edge. Is this impression correct?
Thanks and best wishes,
Dr. M. Lomas.
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

I would agree in your assessment of the Griego cup depth being between a Bach and Schilke; the throat also does not open quite as much as a Schilke.  In general I find that if someone likes the feel of a Bach rim they will like the Griego feel as well.  Folks who play Griego tend to find them to be even across registers and dynamics, very responsive and with a fat core to the sound.  They are a consistent favorite with many of the players I work with!
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

I have a Griego 7 and I`ve found that the rim is incredibly comfortable. One of the the most comfortable I own
ttf_kempsmj

Post by ttf_kempsmj »

I play on a Griego 5 CS (designed for Getzen) on my Getzen Custom 3047 AFR.
The Bach 5G didn't work for me, The Bach 5GS was easy to play but the sound wasn't warm enough.
I finally tried the Griego (I didn't get this with the instrument when I bought it) and bought it immediately after a week of trying.

I don't know the differences between the Griego 5 and Griego 5 CS...

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Griego makes some incredible mouthpieces. If you really want the full Griego experience, and what he is all about as far as tenor mouthpieces go, I'd at least test out the Artist 55 or the Alessi series (in your case the 5, or 7 if you don't want to take the plunge)

He is a master of mating a larger, more comfortable rim than you think you'd use onto a cup that reigns that rim back in and makes it easy to play. The effect is a huge and stable sound that still somehow sounds like a tenor trombone.

Of course the 5 is a no-brainer, but you really should try an Alessi 5C or Artist 55. You might be surprised.
ttf_jedrph

Post by ttf_jedrph »

from my experiences from all of the above. First off, the griego pieces are extremely well made. The NY5 feels similar to schilke 51 in rim diameter, but not as deep. It feels bigger than a bach 5g and has a flatter rim then the 5g. the cs5 has an even flatter rim and a sharper bite than the 5ny. The 5ny has a lot of core (middle overtones) to the tone and is harder to color or to make brassy which is easier with the 5cs. I prefer the rim on NY5 over the CS5. Depending on what sound you want, I feel the NY5 has a bit too much core - sounds more like a euphonium than a trombone to me and is very hard to get an edgy sound with. The 55 feels a little larger than the 5, but definitely is a more lively mouthpiece. I haven't played the griego since I switched to GB NY5.5 and haven't looked back. YMMV.
ttf_Dr. M. Lomas

Post by ttf_Dr. M. Lomas »

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this, which were very  useful. I have now settled on the Schilke 51, which seems to be working well. Perhaps more on this later...
Dr. M. Lomas.
ttf_Dr. M. Lomas

Post by ttf_Dr. M. Lomas »

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this, which were very  useful. I have now settled on the Schilke 51, which seems to be working well. Perhaps more on this later...
Dr. M. Lomas.

Return to “Mouthpieces”