ProTec vs Bags of Spain

ttf_chris612

ProTec vs Bags of Spain

Post by ttf_chris612 »

Hi all,

So I currently have a Protec ProPac bass case for my Bach 50BG3. It works well but is a little bulky and heavy. I will be going away to school in the fall and flying with my horn a few times a semester and was looking for a new case that is more streamline and lighter. I found the bags of Spain cases on hornguys appear to suit my needs but I can't find many reviews on the bass case. Has anyone used a bags of Spain bass case before? How do they compare to protec ones? Any info is appreciated!

Chris
ttf_Matt K

ProTec vs Bags of Spain

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I had one awhile back. I don't know if they've changed their lineup, but I wouldn't fly with it if they're like the old ones.  The one I had was really similar to the BAM cases which were all foam at the time.  So they were generally protective, or at least more so than a gig bag, but not necessarily airline proof.  If I were flying, I'd get an Eastman bass case.  They're also pretty lightweight, lighter than the leather Cronkhite bags at least.  Or get a gig bag and use a golf case when you fly and just assume you'll check it.  I mostly use a Cronkhite now and put it in the golf bag when I'm traveling with it or putting it somewhere where something like a suitcase might need to go on it.
ttf_chris612

ProTec vs Bags of Spain

Post by ttf_chris612 »

Quote from: Matt K on Aug 05, 2017, 01:16PMI had one awhile back. I don't know if they've changed their lineup, but I wouldn't fly with it if they're like the old ones.  The one I had was really similar to the BAM cases which were all foam at the time.  So they were generally protective, or at least more so than a gig bag, but not necessarily airline proof.  If I were flying, I'd get an Eastman bass case.  They're also pretty lightweight, lighter than the leather Cronkhite bags at least.  Or get a gig bag and use a golf case when you fly and just assume you'll check it.  I mostly use a Cronkhite now and put it in the golf bag when I'm traveling with it or putting it somewhere where something like a suitcase might need to go on it.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into the Eastman cases.

Chris
ttf_Horn Builder

ProTec vs Bags of Spain

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

The Eastman cases are pretty big on the bell end. (As they can fit a 10.5" bell as standard) and would be a challenge to get in the overhead bins.

Look at Bonna or Basili, they are smaller (since they are designed for either 9.5 or 10.5" bells) and generally more compact than the Other cases you've mentioned.

When flying, take the horn on with you! Don't take anything else on if you can manage it. Check your clothes bag. Don't make a big deal of the fact you have a trombone. See if you can board earlier, or at least at the front of your section.

My business partner and I have flown numerous times to trombone shows in various parts of the country, each carrying a bass trombone in Bonna/Basili style cases. No problems what-so-ever to this point. The 2 horns "top and tailed" in the overhead take up less room than 2 of the normal size bags you see people bring onto a plane.

If you "do" have to check the horn, see if you can Gate Check it. And make sure the horn cannot move inside the case.

Good luck!
M
ttf_schlitzbeer

ProTec vs Bags of Spain

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Do a screw bell conversion and transport it in a gun case. Watch those TSA people go nuts at the sight of a loaded bass trombone......
ttf_Driswood

ProTec vs Bags of Spain

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: schlitzbeer on Aug 10, 2017, 04:54AMDo a screw bell conversion and transport it in a gun case. Watch those TSA people go nuts at the sight of a loaded bass trombone......

Image Image Image Image
ttf_Driswood

ProTec vs Bags of Spain

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: schlitzbeer on Aug 10, 2017, 04:54AMDo a screw bell conversion and transport it in a gun case. Watch those TSA people go nuts at the sight of a loaded bass trombone......

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Accessories”