One year of playing

ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

One year of playing

Post by ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ »

So I started playing the trombone on August 9...it's been a year! *throws confetti*

It turns out that I'm now the only trombone in jazz band. I can hear myself above fourteen other instruments though, so...I guess it's okay...? Image
ttf_BGuttman

One year of playing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: stealthheartocarinaZ on Aug 11, 2017, 04:43PM... I can hear myself above fourteen other instruments though, so...I guess it's okay...? Image

YOU'RE PLAYING TOO LOUD!!  You should blend with the other 14 instruments, not drown them out.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

One year of playing

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Could be louder...
ttf_Geezerhorn

One year of playing

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

If the other 14 instrument players complain, play louder yet.

But seriously, you should be able to hear yourself play. You just shouldn't cover the band unless you have a solo.

...Geezer
ttf_davdud101

One year of playing

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: stealthheartocarinaZ on Aug 11, 2017, 04:43PMSo I started playing the trombone on August 9...it's been a year! *throws confetti*

It turns out that I'm now the only trombone in jazz band. I can hear myself above fourteen other instruments though, so...I guess it's okay...? Image

Grats!

And then, not-so-grats.
Anyone think maybe the band is too QUIET? My high school jazz band was made up ONLY of freshman and sophomores - the majority of which were 'doublers' coming from clarinet, tuba and other concert instruments not often found in low high school-level jazz lit. Needless to say, it would've been EASY to blow them away, given that the majority of players were struggling with basic rhythm and note reading.

Not to say one shouldn't blend. Blending is important.
ttf_robcat2075

One year of playing

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Congratulations on a year of trombone!

Quote from: stealthheartocarinaZ on Aug 11, 2017, 04:43PMIt turns out that I'm now the only trombone in jazz band...

That sounds like when I took Chinese.

Twenty people in the class first semester... two people second semester.
ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

One year of playing

Yeah...I should probably explain.

Last year, when I first joined jazz, the first chair was always complaining that I wasn't playing loud enough. I couldn't really hear myself at all, so I started playing louder, and my director says that I'm just the right volume. I don't drown them out - what I mean is that I can finally hear myself above the other instruments, which is a really big improvement, considering that the woodwind section is now the largest. The single trumpet player is still louder than me, but that's the point, so I don't really try to be louder.

I guess it's also kind of because a lot of the people in the band this are beginners. We've grown to about 23 people, and only a handful of us know how to play, compared to the previous 10/12 last year. I've even gathered two other new people, one who plays snare in marching band and the other who plays clarinet and is the assistant drum major.  Image
ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

One year of playing

Yeah...I should probably explain.

Last year, when I first joined jazz, the first chair was always complaining that I wasn't playing loud enough. I couldn't really hear myself at all, so I started playing louder, and my director says that I'm just the right volume. I don't drown them out - what I mean is that I can finally hear myself above the other instruments, which is a really big improvement, considering that the woodwind section is now the largest. The single trumpet player is still louder than me, but that's the point, so I don't really try to be louder.

I guess it's also kind of because a lot of the people in the band this are beginners. We've grown to about 23 people, and only a handful of us know how to play, compared to the previous 10/12 last year. I've even gathered two other new people, one who plays snare in marching band and the other who plays clarinet and is the assistant drum major.  Image

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”