Bach 50B Case Restoration

ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

I just finished restoring a Bach case I bought from Steve Ferguson years ago.  The dilapidated case sat in my garage waiting for the right horn to come along that would give me the drive to do the restoration.  I just finished the case and now provides a great home for my NY Bach 50B. Check it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/io4nk0plu8czkb6/Video.MOV?dl=0

Thanks, Bob
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Beautiful!  Reminds me that I have one that needs some TLC...

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Looks very nice! Good job!
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Nice!

I'll tell you what, though.  I've never understood the drape of fabric in those cases.  What you want to protect is the bell from the drips off the slide.  It's at precisely that location the drape fails to cover.  On my rebuilds I put a drape on the other half attached to the slide box cover that when closed is pushed into the bell recess by the bell.  No drips. 

ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

Quote from: baileyman on Aug 18, 2017, 07:31AMNice!

I'll tell you what, though.  I've never understood the drape of fabric in those cases.  What you want to protect is the bell from the drips off the slide.  It's at precisely that location the drape fails to cover.  On my rebuilds I put a drape on the other half attached to the slide box cover that when closed is pushed into the bell recess by the bell.  No drips. 

Good point.  Actually,  it is too bad the case wasn't designed with slide facing the other direction. 

Thanks, Bob
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Beautiful!! Looks brand new.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Incredibly nice job.  I didn't realize that was even possible.
How did you deal with the sharp metal strips on the outside of the small end?  I have one that sprung out, and I can't figure out the best way to hold it in place.
ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Aug 18, 2017, 12:07PMIncredibly nice job.  I didn't realize that was even possible.
How did you deal with the sharp metal strips on the outside of the small end?  I have one that sprung out, and I can't figure out the best way to hold it in place.

This case had a hard board piece but I think the metal type is held on the same way.  Aren't there signs of small staples that were used to hold the piece in place? Find some small steel staples that are long enough to be bent over on the back side. Clamp the piece in place and pre drill holes to match the staples. Does that sound workable?

Thanks, Bob
ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Aug 18, 2017, 12:07PMIncredibly nice job.  I didn't realize that was even possible.

This case had a hard board piece but I think the metal type is held on the same way.  Aren't there signs of small staples that were used to hold the piece in place? Find some small steel staples that are long enough to be bent over on the back side. Clamp the piece in place and pre drill holes to match the staples. Does that sound workable?

Thanks, Bob

Return to “Accessories”