Pan American Model Number Location

ttf_Pteranabone

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

Where is the model number found on a Pan American?  I received a project horn as a birthday gift and found the serial numbers but not the model number.

The Conn Loyalist Site lists the models, but doesn't have identification sites like they do for the Conns.
ttf_Pteranabone

Wow.  This question drew a collective yawn. 

My brother bought me one as a birthday present.  I should make it playable, but don't want to spend more money than it is worth.

It won't replace my 2B, 3B, or 88H, but it might be could for outdoor situations, letting others borrow, campfire songs  Image.

It does have a cool Art Deco look.

I have concluded that unlike their Conn brethren, they don't have a model number on the horn.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Here is information from the Conn Loyalist on Pan American.

Most serial numbers start with a P, so look for that somewhere; probably on bell brace, or near the slide/bell connection.
ttf_Pteranabone

Thanks, Bruce.  I had already found the serial number and read the info on the Conn Loyalist site.  I guess they didn't etch the model numbers in, like they did for the Conn line.

It's going to cost me $150 to get it in good playing shape.  Maybe not money well spent, but it was a gift.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I don't think there was any more than one model Pan American.  I thought that later they gave it an H designation (they did with Wurlitzer models) but I couldn't find anything on Conn Loyalist either.  And the Margaret Downy Banks' History of the Conn Company doesn't mention it either
ttf_Pteranabone

Just got it back from the tech.  I am pleasantly surprised by its resonance and slotting. 

The lacquer is crap; even feels sticky when i hold it.

I doubt I will ever perform in public with this horn. But I think I will keep it at my little cabin in the woods for practicing and musical therapy. Would welcome any thoughts on delacquering and leaving as raw brass vs. relacquering vs. leaving as is?

I realize its only a Pan American and I will never recover any $ if I later decide to sell.
ttf_Pteranabone

Just got it back from the tech.  I am pleasantly surprised by its resonance and slotting. 

The lacquer is crap; even feels sticky when i hold it.

I doubt I will ever perform in public with this horn. But I think I will keep it at my little cabin in the woods for practicing and musical therapy. Would welcome any thoughts on delacquering and leaving as raw brass vs. relacquering vs. leaving as is?

I realize its only a Pan American and I will never recover any $ if I later decide to sell.

Return to “Instruments”