Minor Issue with Shires Bass Slide

ttf_beansessette

Post by ttf_beansessette »

Hi all, just looking for a general opinion on this, or solutions if anyone has noticed the same issue.

I purchased a custom Shires bass right from the factory in March, and the slide I was fitted to is a dual bore yellow brass slide with a nickel crook. I noticed right out of the box that the slide feels great when moving large distances between positions (i.e. 1st to 4th), but if I want to make a very small adjustment on one note for the sake of intonation, it takes significantly more effort to move the slide. Sometimes when using slide vibrato, if I don't make it wide enough, the whole horn shakes because the slide won't move easily between small positions. I also have noticed that this problem increases greatly when moving between 6th and 7th position, to the point where 7th is almost unusable.

Is this a common problem with brand new Shires slides? Am I just being too picky? Or should I hold Shires true to the high standard of quality that they preach? Any and all opinions or helpful hints are welcome. Thanks!

-Sean
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

What kind of lubrication are you using on the slide?
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Shires slides are built to close tolerances, so small alignment or tube straightness issues can cause problems like this. It's easily fixed, especially at the factory. I know that's inconvenient, but I would find a time to make the drive or ship the slide back.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Was it like that when you tried it out?
ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

If the leadpipe that you are using is not mounted straight in the collar it can bind the slide. The quick way to find out is to take out the leadpipe and check the slide action.

Thanks, Bob
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

To expand on Gabe's point... slide action and slide seal are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You can have a slide with really good action... because it has absolutely no seal & vice versa to some extent.   Its not something you can really eyeball either; you need tools to check it. If I weren't local, I'd take it to someone who had a leveling stone to make sure everything is right with it.

Harrison's question is also important: Did you receive the slide in March or did you order the slide in March? It sounds like you tried it at the factory and bought a slide that doesn't have a usable 6th or 7th which is definitely something I would have asked about while I was there if I was going home with something?  I'm sure its a gap in my comprehension though, don't expect critical thinking from me on a Saturday even after 2 cups  Image
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I would send the slide to Shires and ask them to make it great.  Whatever it takes. 
ttf_beansessette

For clarification... I use Light Slide-O-Mix. The slide was tested, ordered, and received in March 2017. It may have been in the same condition when I tried it out at the factory, but during my fitting I was so mesmerized with the sound of the horn that I didn't bother to check for slide action. Sounds like sending it to the factory might be my best option, even if it leaves my horn un-playable for a short while.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: beansessette on Aug 27, 2017, 05:25AMFor clarification... I use Light Slide-O-Mix. The slide was tested, ordered, and received in March 2017. It may have been in the same condition when I tried it out at the factory, but during my fitting I was so mesmerized with the sound of the horn that I didn't bother to check for slide action. Sounds like sending it to the factory might be my best option, even if it leaves my horn un-playable for a short while.

Ah okay.  What was throwing me off is not having a usable 6th or 7th for that long of a time period. Would drive me nuts! Your'e definitely out of the break-in window.  Light SOM I would imagine would be sufficiently think too.  Certainly give Shires a call, they've been very helpful with me in the past.
ttf_beansessette

I've been able to make it work for the time being, but obviously I'd rather not have one more thing to think about while playing. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll contact Shires and get something set up.
Now for my next question... best way to ship a slide?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: beansessette on Aug 27, 2017, 07:05AM...
Now for my next question... best way to ship a slide?

If you are at the school there, see if one of your classmates has a Slide Doctor box.  Best way I know to ship a slide.  Failing that, tape the slide to a board, add a couple of layers of large bubble wrap in a box filled with wadded newspaper or blown polystyrene "piffles".
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

Just something I have learned from experience: cleaning the slide NEEDS to include swabbing out the outers with a rod and muslin/cheesecloth. Every slide lubricant is going to leave residue on your outers over time, it dries up and leaves a gunk on the outers making it feel like dents or alignment problems. The video that Edwards put out makes it sound like its just Slide o Mix that does this, but every trombone lubricant does, just that Slide O Mix does it faster. I don't know if you have, but I didn't for a while and thought my slide was bent until I learned this. I do this once or twice a week and my slides are smoother for a lot longer.
ttf_beansessette

Yep, I use the Slide-O-Mix cleaning rod several times a week and it works quite well, which is why I'm thinking there is a greater issue with the slide.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Have you used the wet cleaning portion of the slide-o-mix system? Some water, dish soap, and the cleaning brush can help get out any possible dried lubricant that is in there.
ttf_bbocaner

Post by ttf_bbocaner »

As great as Shires slides are, I've had problems with more than half of the new ones I've bought. Get them on the phone and get an RMA number for warranty work. They will take care of you.
ttf_Dantheman

Post by ttf_Dantheman »

My Shires came with 3 crooked lead pipes that threw my slide alignment out. Not what I expect from such a highly esteemed manufacturer.

Check your lead pipes for straightness.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

It could be the lubricant you use too. I finally gave up on using the Yamaha stuff on my Edwards. It seems to only like trombotine
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Sep 04, 2017, 05:01AMIt could be the lubricant you use too. I finally gave up on using the Yamaha stuff on my Edwards. It seems to only like trombotine
Edwards pretty much recommends only trombotine for their slides.
ttf_ChadA

Post by ttf_ChadA »

Quote from: daveyboy37 on Sep 04, 2017, 01:13PM Edwards pretty much recommends only trombotine for their slides.

Indeed, though the Yamaha stuff works great for me on my Edwards and Getzen slides.  YMMV, of course.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Quote from: ChadA on Sep 05, 2017, 05:52AMIndeed, though the Yamaha stuff works great for me on my Edwards and Getzen slides.  YMMV, of course.

My Edwards DB Bass slide works great with SOM Rapid Comfort, but my (Edwards) DB Tenor and .562 Nickel Bass slides both are much happier with Trombontine.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Quote from: ChadA on Sep 05, 2017, 05:52AMIndeed, though the Yamaha stuff works great for me on my Edwards and Getzen slides.  YMMV, of course.

My Edwards DB Bass slide works great with SOM Rapid Comfort, but my (Edwards) DB Tenor and .562 Nickel Bass slides both are much happier with Trombontine.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”