Where can I find one of these?

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I bought a horn that belonged to Al Kaplan, and it had this great slide bumper on it. I haven't seen another like it. Any idea where this came from?

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Adding a reply because I'm interested too. Looks like one could be made with some padding and a rubber strip and some acid free  adhesive
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

That looks like what Katherine Hepburn was pulling off Humphrey Bogart after he got out of the river in "African Queen"
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Yesterday at 10:49 AMThat looks like what Katherine Hepburn was pulling off Humphrey Bogart after he got out of the river in "African Queen"

Might have been the same thing: a rubber leech. Image

You might be able to make something like that from Boxer's Wax (the stuff kids use to cover braces) although I don't think that would be permanent enough.  Maybe a mold using silicone rubber?

Hyperbolica, is it soft or hard?  If you were anywhere near here I'd test it with my Durometer.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Why don't you just email or shoot Alan Kaplan a facebook message? He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd remember something unusual like that.
ttf_hyperbolica

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 11:17 AMMight have been the same thing: a rubber leech. Image

You might be able to make something like that from Boxer's Wax (the stuff kids use to cover braces) although I don't think that would be permanent enough.  Maybe a mold using silicone rubber?

Hyperbolica, is it soft or hard?  If you were anywhere near here I'd test it with my Durometer.

In the thick area it is fairly soft, but firm enough it doesn't squish flat if you support your horn on it. It looks to be kept on with adhesive of some sort. It may even be hollow to make the thick areas squishier, and the thin areas more solid feeling.
ttf_hyperbolica

Quote from: mr.deacon on Yesterday at 11:29 AMWhy don't you just email or shoot Alan Kaplan a facebook message? He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd remember something unusual like that.

He's not exactly a guy I have on speed dial. Anyone have Mr. Kaplan in the rolodex?  I did try to get Brass Ark to ask him some questions for me, but didn't get a response, and didn't want to be a huge pain in the ass.

I was actually hoping someone would recognize this as some commercially available product, because I'd like a couple more.

The horn I got from him had a very interesting 8h GenII 8" custom bell. Goes great with a .525" slide Eric Edwards did for me. Kind of like the zingiest modern 78h that never was.

Ok, I'm OT on my own thread. Anyway, info on the slide bumper would be great. Thx.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Yesterday at 11:31 AMHe's not exactly a guy I have on speed dial. Anyone have Mr. Kaplan in the rolodex?
http://www.alankaplan.org/

https://www.facebook.com/alan.kaplan.3

Google is the new rolodex Image
ttf_hyperbolica

Quote from: mr.deacon on Yesterday at 11:39 AMhttp://www.alankaplan.org/

https://www.facebook.com/alan.kaplan.3

Google is the new rolodex Image

Ok, thx, well, I'm not much of a stalker, I guess. Anyway, I sent him a message, we'll see if I hear back.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I've seen that kind of bumper on Martins.
ttf_hyperbolica

Quote from: Sliphorn on Yesterday at 12:30 PMI've seen that kind of bumper on Martins.
Well, that's a start. Thanks!
ttf_Bob Weller

Post by ttf_Bob Weller »

I have a Martin 4501 which I believe is the Urbie Green model. It has that type bow and rubber  bumper. BTW, the Urbie has a super light slide.

Thanks, Bob
ttf_hyperbolica

Quote from: Bob Weller on Yesterday at 12:53 PM I have a Martin 4501 which I believe is the Urbie Green model. It has that type bow and rubber  bumper. BTW, the Urbie has a super light slide.

Thanks, Bob

My slide is a Conn SL2525, so I doubt it's the same bow.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Imfriends with him on FB, but I haven't even been on FB in years
ttf_Steerpike

Post by ttf_Steerpike »

You can buy a kind of silicon rubber modelling clay called sugru.  It is intended for this type of use.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

As I recall, a friend gave me some silicone modelling clay that might have been sugru. Two epoxy types of rubber you blend together and then stick on.

Small 1/4oz packets?

I used my free samples to apply to the lips of all of my mutes. No more dings on the bell. The rubber adheres to the metal of the mute.

If you wish to go the non-rubber route you can find self-adhesive leather patches with a foam strip down the middle for sticking into the heels of shoes to make them fit better and cushion bunions on the back of the heel.
Not Dr. Scholls, but I'd bet that Dr. Scholls also makes something you could stick onto your slide.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Boo-boo Band-Aid Bumper Bow Body-Armor
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Boo-boo Band-Aid Bumper Bow Body-Armor

Return to “Accessories”