Rings for press-fit leadpipes

ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

I have some press fit leadpipes with no ring around the end to prevent them from being pushed into the slide. Can I buy these anywhere (.547) and install them myself?
ttf_Dennis Clason

Post by ttf_Dennis Clason »

How good are you with a torch and soft solder?

Can you solder thin copper tubing together without putting holes in the tubing?

You can make an effective ring out of 12 ga copper wire if you have access to a ring mandrel. Soldering a ring to a leadpipe isn't too tough, but a leadpipe is not the place to learn the skill.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I think instrument innovations has something similar to this. Although I've had my tech just make a little ring for some pressfit pipes in the past. They charged like $10 to fabricate it, so I assume it wasn't particularly complicated. I also assume they would have ordered something if it existed but that isn't necessarily a valid assumption.
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

A hardware store with a good selection of miscellaneous plumbing bits may provide a solution.  I found a brass ring to fir a .500. 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello
Mike from  Instrument Innovations. I am sorry so far the press fit rings as well as the press fit adapters made to convert press in mouthpipes into threaded mouthpipes only come in .562 diameter. I really thought these would be more popular. Maybe we have not gotten the word out enough yet.
Thanks
Mike
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: MOKO on Sep 18, 2017, 04:17PMHello
Mike from  Instrument Innovations. I am sorry so far the press fit rings as well as the press fit adapters made to convert press in mouthpipes into threaded mouthpipes only come in .562 diameter. I really thought these would be more popular. Maybe we have not gotten the word out enough yet.
Thanks
Mike
Note that the OP is talking about slide bore, not mouthpiece size.  The shank size for a .562 horn is the same as a .547 horn.  The rings should be identical.

I think that you are seeing just how slowly we trombonists actually buy and modify leadpipes.  Pretty sure I'm going to get one of your receivers shortly, some rings may follow after I start playing things.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_elmsandr

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: MOKO on Sep 18, 2017, 04:17PMHello
Thanks
Mike
Note that the OP is talking about slide bore, not mouthpiece size.  The shank size for a .562 horn is the same as a .547 horn.  The rings should be identical.

I think that you are seeing just how slowly we trombonists actually buy and modify leadpipes.  Pretty sure I'm going to get one of your receivers shortly, some rings may follow after I start playing things.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Accessories”