Long term storage of the trombone

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi!

I am joining the Norwegian kings guard in a week or so, where I will play the trombone for a year. We will be playing on the kings guards instruments, meaning I will have to leave my trombone at home (which is in another city), so I won't be playing at it for quite a while.

Found a similar post with a lot of useful information on cleaning the instrument and so on before storing it, which I will of course do. But I still have one question I hope someone here has a good answer to:

How exactly should I store it? On a stand? In separate parts in my bed? In my trombone case? If so, should the case be standing up or laying down?

The horn is a Bach Stradivarius 42G, and my bag is a Marcus Bonna light tenor trombone case.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

As long as it doesn't have moisture in it, it shouldn't matter.  Tuning slides can be greased but like, don't play on it then put it in the case and let the condensation sit in the crook for a month. That'll smell real nice  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'd also suggest leaving the tuning slides out just a little (1 or 2 mm) so if they freeze you can unstick them by pushing in.  Much easier than pulling out.

Good luck in the Guards Band.  You must be a good player to be chosen! Image
ttf_DaveBb

Post by ttf_DaveBb »

I've wondered whether a cause of stinky cases is anaerobic conditions developing when a case is left closed for a long time and is largely airtight.

Another cause might be condensation forming on the brass when there are extreme temperature changes.

To prevent this from occurring, it might be best to leave the case slightly open, and leave it in a warm, well ventilated room.

Any thoughts on this ? 
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I suppose its possible. Maybe put some of those silicon beads that absorb moisture in the case. 

ANother idea would be to just take out all of the tuning slides instead of just pulling them slightly out. It isn't like you'd be using it frequently if you're storing it long term!  Image
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

I would give the trombone a bath, and clean out everything, especially in the slide, which is where the lion's share of the gunk develops. The tuning slide should definitely be both cleaned and greased, and I would also recommend leaving it out just a bit to help free it up. I have one yamaha trombone where an F-attachment slide keeps sticking.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If the storage is only for a year, not much will happen.  Stinky cases usually take years to develop.  Even stuck slides are not likely in a year.  But the suggestions above are good and a little too much care is better than not enough.
ttf_john sandhagen

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

Give your instrument a bath, dry thoroughly, Lube the tuning slides and leave out a bit, lube the F valve, do not lube the slide.  The case stink is from what's in the horn...if it's clean then there's nothing to stink.
ttf_sindrezm

Post by ttf_sindrezm »

Thank you all for great answers!
ttf_sindrezm

Post by ttf_sindrezm »

Thank you all for great answers!

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”