Modified 88H Trigger Issue

ttf_Trombone Sam

Post by ttf_Trombone Sam »

Hey guys, about a year ago I picked up an “Artist Symphony” era 88H in decent shape on the cheap. One of the thingsI found interesting is that some previous owner replaced the string trigger mechanism with an all metal, but older linkage mechanism from a 42B/36B. It works fine and is a little noisy, and I realize they probably only switched it because they didn’t feel like messing with string every so often.

My issue is after maybe 24 hours of trigger use, the ball bearing on top of the “s” shaped linkage unscrews and comes apart, rendering the trigger useless until I have the time to take it apart and reassemble it. In order to fix this, would ordering a new “s” linkage solve the problem, or would it be worth it to upgrade to the newer bach lever (to refrain from having to (un)solder anything), or would it be more worth it to just go back to the string system?

Link to the linkage http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=510_982_1128&products_id=23953
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I've always liked string linkages, but there should be a simple solution to your problem.

The cap on the ball joint has to be put on firm enough to stay in place but not too firm so you can't move the trigger.  You may need to put it on a bit tighter.

If there is no position that really works with the ball joint, the newer ball and socket may be an option.

Going back to string may require some other modifications since they probably reversed the stops and may have made other mods to the valve.
ttf_Trombone Sam

I see what you’re saying about the cap, but the issue here is that with the joint, the ball part on te end itself actually comes unscrewed and gets stuck in te mechanism until I can take of the end piece, fish it out, feed the joint through the gap in the mechanism, and screw te cap back on. I can take pictures when I get home later
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

Nail polish.  Poor mans Loctite.

Just a dab on the thread before you screw the ball back on and it'll stop it from vibrating loose, without being so strong that you can no longer undo it when you need to.  Just don't let it get into the actual ball joint itself.

Or am I not understanding the problem correctly?
ttf_Trombone Sam

No that makes sense! I’ll try it out with some clear coat later
ttf_Trombone Sam

No that makes sense! I’ll try it out with some clear coat later

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”