Holton Special (Chicago)

ttf_leec

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_leec »

Any thoughts on this instrument?
ttf_MrPillow

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Which one? Special was a line that included small tenors down to basses, not a specific instrument.
ttf_leec

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_leec »

Looks like a straight tenor.
ttf_MrPillow

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

What's the bell diameter? Bore size? Is there a number inscribed on the slide receiver or cork barrel?
ttf_leec

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_leec »

I don't have it as yet. tried to place a photo and looks like I need the help of a 10 year old! The picture in the ad is not great but from what I can see it looks pretty much unmolested.  All brass bell and slide except for some chrome around where you would hold the slide.  No counter weight and no bulges in the support arms (cross pieces) like some of the newer Collegiates have.
ttf_MrPillow

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

The Special line from Chicago would be 1904-1917 date. It could be anywhere from a very small tenor, 0.450" bore with 6" bell, up to a bass with around 0.540" bore and 9" bell. Sounds like it has the standard low-end finish, raw brass with nickel-silver trim on the handslide.
ttf_leec

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_leec »

It doesn't appear to be raw brass, polished and maybe lacquered.  Apparently the case has Elkhorn printed on it but the horn has Chicago stamped on it.  I have requested another look for serial numbers or any other markings.  The bell doesn't look particularly small
ttf_leec

Holton Special (Chicago)

Post by ttf_leec »

It doesn't appear to be raw brass, polished and maybe lacquered.  Apparently the case has Elkhorn printed on it but the horn has Chicago stamped on it.  I have requested another look for serial numbers or any other markings.  The bell doesn't look particularly small

Return to “Instruments”