What other slides fit my Getzen 3047AFR?

ttf_quiethorn

Post by ttf_quiethorn »

I have a Getzen 3047AFR from the 90s. I brought it in for a slide cleaning and adjustment since it's not as nice as it used to be. I've wondered the last few years if the slide might have some de-zincification, and the tech confirmed it. We're not sure of the extent of the de-zincification, so he's gonna clean it out and adjust for now, but he said the outers will need be replaced eventually if I want to keep it playable, maybe sooner rather than later.

I've been thinking of downsizing to a .525 or .525/.547 dual bore anyway, but I don't wanna be stuck with my Getzen bell and a red rotted slide just hanging around. Too much sentimental value to sell it, I don't have much storage space, and my wife likes how the rose brass looks in our room Image So I'm thinking of some options if I need to make changes soon...

1) Have the outers replaced. Easiest solution, but that's less money I could put towards a .525 horn.

2) Get a slide from a Getzen 725 or 525 (.525/.547). More than replacing the outers, but brand new slide and gets me a .525-ish horn. I can ask Getzen, but I'm not sure if they sell slides direct to customers or if I need to find a shop to order for me... plus more importantly, would this even fit a 3047F?

3) Buy a T327-2N .525/.547 slide (probably what the Getzen 725 slide is) direct from Edwards. But again, would this fit? Searching the forums, it looks like Getzen uses a Conn-style slide adaptor and Edwards uses a Bach-style one, so I guess I'd need to have something converted... more money, more time in the shop, etc.

4) Find a non-Getzen, non-Edwards .525/.547 or .525 slide that would fit. Any ideas here? Is there anything from Conn or others that would fit?

I have a feeling I'll just end up replacing the outers and saving up longer for .525 horn, but it'd be cool if one of the other options panned out. Or is there anything else I'm missing?

None of this would be as much of an issue if I hadn't just bought my son a $3000 entry-level pro flute  Image
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Edwards and pretty much anybody really, will put a Getzen tenon on a slide. Conn slides have the same tenon as Getzen. Not sure how a Conn and Getzen get along, though.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Edwards and pretty much anybody really, will put a Getzen tenon on a slide. Conn slides have the same tenon as Getzen. Not sure how a Conn and Getzen get along, though.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”