Double valve tenor

ttf_bonesmarsh

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Having read the TubeNet site for a while now-
Wouldn't it just save a lot of time for every beginning low brass player ( tuba or trombone ) just begin on F tuba, and have all low brass players just play F tuba?

ttf_hyperbolica

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Dec 07, 2017, 07:49AMHaving read the TubeNet site for a while now-
Wouldn't it just save a lot of time for every beginning low brass player ( tuba or trombone ) just begin on F tuba, and have all low brass players just play F tuba?

Yeah. Even a 4v compensating euphonium gives easier access to the same range as a double plug bone and a tenor put together (although it costs twice as much). And according to my wife, sounds even better ;o)
ttf_JohnL

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Dec 07, 2017, 08:15AMAnd according to my wife, sounds even better ;o)It's the horn or her, friend.
ttf_BGuttman

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Dec 07, 2017, 07:49AMHaving read the TubeNet site for a while now-

With 4, 5, or 6 valves?

Back in the Bad Old Days all tuba players started on Eb tuba because it was smaller and easier for young players to blow.  And a 4 valve Compensating Eb can cover the range really well.
ttf_brucolli

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_brucolli »

Mick Rath made a 2 valve R4F for. Actually, it is the double bell trombone in my avatar.
When I don't need the second bell I can put in a D slide and have a Bb-F-D tenor.
I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is because I was mainly after a good, full range double bell instrument.
I use it quite a lot. I wouldn't use it for 1st trombone in an orchestra but for a smallish bass, it's great.
I personally think the Rath build (Hagmann valves, no bracing in the tuning slide area) keep the weight light enough to make it work. It still sounds like a tenor.

ttf_Whitbey

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Dec 06, 2017, 07:02AMI don't get the idea of a trill valve (A/Ab). It sort of kills what makes trills sound unique on a trombone. The F attachment by itself makes almost any mid range trill and higher possible, and also keeps the unique sound of a lip trill intact.

The Kissbone did solve the low C/B problem by adding a quick slide into the return crook on the F attachment. Kind of like a Bartok valve, you can throw it out for Bs and Cs, and quickly close it to be back in normal tuning.

To clarify. If I did a 547 double valve I would do and F and an A trill.

For my jazz small bore I did a first valve or Ab. Maybe think just one valve of a superbone. Makes the licks go easy. And having done it I see the benefit of a trill and the Ab more then using the same thing you would for a bass bone.

An example of a quick F scale with the Ab valve. F in 1st, G in V2nd, A in 2nd, Bb in V3, C in 3, D in V2, E in 2 and F in short V2. then back down. All sounds smooth and easy. For me it is easy. I play great solos and make the rest of the trombone section say let me try that.

A photo of the Ab.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1izx3nh_iQyQjhsQ2pLMU9rd1k/view?usp=sharing
ttf_bonenick

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I just like instruments with lots of devices to pull, push, rotate and so on.... Image Image Image
ttf_bonenick

Double valve tenor

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I just like instruments with lots of devices to pull, push, rotate and so on.... Image Image Image

Return to “Instruments”