bell options for Getzen 1052FDR

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi All,
I have Getzen 1052FDR. Feel horn plays on 'heavy' side. Anyone had experience changing the bell to a lighter weight? If so, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug
currently using Kanstul 1662, 1670, (light weight bells/bronze-yellow respectively). Conn 72 and 71 H, Getzen 1052FDR.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

For what it's worth... Kanstul next to Rath are probably the most lightweight horns on the market. Especially a Kanstul with the lightweight bell. Both your 72H and 71H have thin bells and they're single valved horns making them even lighter in weight.

No matter what you do the Getzen 1052 is going to feel like a tank next to your 1662, 1670 and your Conn single valved horns. I think the stock bell on a 1052FDR and 1062FDR is 22 gauge, soldered... if I remember right. Edwards does make soldered red bells that are lighter then 22 gauge.

It isn't that much effort to buy a bell and have a tech slap it on... but you still have to go through the whole process of buying a bell and taking your horn to a tech. Even with putting a new bell on your Getzen it will still feel on the heavier side compared to your Kanstul's and Conn's.

Do your Kanstul's have a narrow or wide crook? That might also lend to the heavy feel of the Getzen since that has a wide crook.
ttf_doatley

Post by ttf_doatley »

mr.deacon, Thanks so much for your reply and your kind attention to my question. My Kanstul horns , both of which have narrow crooks, are just as you described. I enjoy the responsiveness as well as a "vintage" sound of those horns as well the Conns.  (old timer that I am). The Getzen does provide a "stable"  sound, possibly dune to the heavier weight of the bell as well as the heavy construction in general. I play the 62 H lead pipe on the 1662, and the GR (George Roberts pipe on the 1670. ( Bach 1 1/2 G) on everything). (62 pipe-.494...GR pipe-.490). Thanks again! Looking forward to a chat any time. Doug...
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Sell the Getzen. They are pretty much set up to sound on the bigger side of the spectrum. You can dump a lot of money into the horn (Edwards bell are not cheap) and there is a good chance it still won’t play the way you want. I have played on Getzen products for a long time. Anytime I blow on a Conn or Kanstul, I feel like I am going to blow the horn apart. Getzen basses seem to want more air than Kanstul and Conns. I feel like to make those horns work for me, I would to adjust my playing a fair bit. Same for you, I think. You could get the horn to work for by making some parts/playing adjustments, but since you have a horn that works for you already, it wouldn’t be worth it.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

^great advice. Certain horns are made to play certain ways. Trying to change their basic design never works out well
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

^great advice. Certain horns are made to play certain ways. Trying to change their basic design never works out well

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”