June 6 should be bass trombone day

Discuss the people that make the music here.
GabrielRice

June 6 should be bass trombone day

Post by GabrielRice »

Today is Dave Taylor's birthday.

If they were still with us, it would also be the 77th birthday of Phil Teele and the 85th birthday of my teacher, Ray Premru.

For those who don't know Ray's wonderful sound, here are some youtube videos to check out:

Slideorama

Re: June 6 should be bass trombone day

Post by Slideorama »

Agreed. Make it so!
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I think there was a somewhat bigger event on June 6th 75 years ago.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:17 pm I think there was a somewhat bigger event on June 6th 75 years ago.
Por que no los dos?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:13 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:17 pm I think there was a somewhat bigger event on June 6th 75 years ago.
Por que no los dos?
I would argue that those great bass trombone masters would not be able to practice their craft if it hadn't been for sacrifices of the military personnel on D-Day. So no, not both.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

That's a bit overblown. I'm not understating D-day, we're also honoring some of our bass trombone greats.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Or perhaps you're under appreciating the impact of this day on our history and your ability to do the things you love doing, including making your videos and performing on trombone for a living without having to salute the Fatherland. Priorities, my friend.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Well, that's a huge assumption you just made. I've been to Dachau. My great-grandfather flew missions in B-17s.

There's room for two things on one day.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I'm basing my statements on your posts. I never said not to honor bass trombonists, I referred to priorities and the priority for this day should be on remembering the sacrifices of people who were maimed and died and suffered from PTSD for the rest of their lives to allow you to do what you do. To allow all of to do what we do. I'm just suggesting a little respect.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Respect for one thing does not mean disrespect for another.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

This went sideways quickly.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:42 pm Respect for one thing does not mean disrespect for another.
Your reply didn't make much sense as I don't see how anyone has been disrespectful to you or the other bass trombonist in question. It seems I simply have a different view then you do about how certain days should be treated. I wish you all the best.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

All I said was "why not both?"
Savio

Post by Savio »

GabeLangfur wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm Today is Dave Taylor's birthday.

If they were still with us, it would also be the 77th birthday of Phil Teele and the 85th birthday of my teacher, Ray Premru.

For those who don't know Ray's wonderful sound, here are some youtube videos to check out:

Thanks for the post Gabe! I didn't know about the trombone quartet with Ray Premru, wonderful sound!
Cant get enough of it. Since so many prominent bass trombone players have birthday on 6 June, I vote for making it an official bass trombone day. And a free day for all of us with a bass trombone :good:

Did you all know there is a day for everything? There is even a "popcorn day" May 10 is the "Clean up your room day". My children obvious missed that .... :biggrin:

Leif
rumhud

Post by rumhud »

I think it's a fantastic idea.
Savio

Post by Savio »

Is there any more recordings of Ray Premru hidden out there?
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Savio wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 pm Is there any more recordings of Ray Premru hidden out there?
He played on every James Bond film soundtrack until 1998.

I just learned he played on the original studio recordings of Petula Clark's "Downtown" and "My Love."

I believe he was on one or both of the Frank Sinatra live recordings from London.

You can't pick him out, but he played in the orchestra for The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album.

He co-led a big band in London with Bobby Lamb:
http://www.jazzprofessional.com/intervi ... erview.htm

Of course, all the commercial recordings and live recordings of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.

And of course, recordings of the Philharmonia and New Philharmonia Orchestras (same orchestra, changed name for a while). If you want to hear the kind of power he could generate, listen to Vaughan Williams 4th Symphony with Sir Adrain Boult, recorded in the early 70s I think.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Ooof that cycle of Ray playing the Vaughn Williams symphonies is ridonkulous. Amazing!

You can't ever listen to Philip Jones enough!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Savio wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 pm Is there any more recordings of Ray Premru hidden out there?
He was co-leader of a big band/large jazz ensemble that did two albums. Long out of print, but I tracked them down on vinyl. It's your typical '60's power jazz, which I happen to love.

Here's a sample:
Savio

Post by Savio »

Ooh, thanks for all links and information folks! Lot to explore!
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

Congratulations to everyone on Bass Trombone Day!
It is surprising, but on June 6, the famous bass trombonist from the Bolshoi Theater Mikhail Deryugin was born.
https://www.mosconsv.ru/ru/person/31489
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

GabrielRice wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:05 am
...Of course, all the commercial recordings and live recordings of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble. ...
Philip Jones Brass Ensemble recordings were a huge influence on me as a young musician. Premru's name was always there in the list of big time players who made a mark on my early years. I was a tenor player, but my teacher in high school was a bass player, and I developed a "bass" approach to tenor.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

When I lived in Cleveland (around 1990-91), I would occasionally drive down to Oberlin and had a lesson with Ray Premru. He was a great man. His sound was stunning. I don’t think he used particularly large equipment (I believe his mouthpiece was is the Bach 2G range), but his tone was huge, yet very clear!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
tbonejoe

Post by tbonejoe »

New member (tbonejoe - joined 6-6 Bass Bone Day) excited to chat after browsing TC breadth and depth of Bone dope. 👍 6-6 Hero/Stud Bass Bone(s) chat thread. Shout out to a friend, fellow section Bone Buddy and Journeyman from Eastern Washington University (Murph and the Magic Tones Big Band c. '89) Bass Bone Aaron Bragg AKA Pig Boy.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxrHsviLc9z3 ... Kk-ZvqvCrE
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Thanks, Gabe. I’ll remember that for next year.

I love Ray’s sound (as much as I can hear it on recordings). Compact, full, easy. Beautiful.

I also love Phil’s Teele’s sound. I was fortunate to hear him live with the Toshiko Akiyoshi Lew Tabackin Big Band. He could fill a room, and then be as quiet as a mouse.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I met Ray Premru while on tour with the NSO in Oberlin, OH and found myself at his home with our trombone section as his guests. I remember him as a very amiable gentleman and enjoyed the visit very much. I have an unusual way of remembering dates by whatever automobiles are present at the time of an event and during our visit I was surprised to find a Ford Taurus SHO [Super High Output] sedan setting in his driveway. He seemed to be a bit surprised at what an iconic vehicle he'd chosen and thought it was a bit "twitchy" for his tastes. The SHO Yamaha V6 had a 0-60 time of about 6 seconds and a top speed of about 140 MPH !! It had a manual transmission, which hampered its sales according to the industry gurus. Even Conan O'Brien of the "Tonight Show" had one although he downplayed it as just a Ford Taurus. So --- an amiable gentleman driving a "Pocket Rocket" ! I think he was quite an interesting man as well as a great trombonist !

Return to “Musicians”