BACH 42 GH TROMBONE

LOJZ

BACH 42 GH TROMBONE

Post by LOJZ »

Please,add your opinions about that version of bell- BACH 42 GH.
Never had chance to test heavy bell option,so would like to get some more informations about sound,response comparing to G bell version.
THANKS for all comments
castrubone

Re: BACH 42 GH TROMBONE

Post by castrubone »

H bells are too much work IMO. The standard gold brass 42 bell is already heavier than the standard yellow 42 bell (which isn't necessarily light to begin with). Might be useful in a specific circumstance, but for everyday playing the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would say unless you need to play at Chicago Symphony volume levels, I'd give it a pass.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:46 pm I would say unless you need to play at Chicago Symphony volume levels, I'd give it a pass.
And it's worth pointing out that they play light bells to play at that level.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:46 pm I would say unless you need to play at Chicago Symphony volume levels, I'd give it a pass.
Jay Friedman plays (or played) with a 42 lightweight gold brass bell flare ;)
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

H bells in yellow and gold brass were popular starting about 30 years ago. People eventually realized—myself included—that it takes a lot of physical energy and stamina to maintain a consistent, beautiful sound with a heavy gauge bell. It’s easy to let the sound get dull sounding. One of my old teachers reminded me that up to 80% of our playing is at the mp to f level. “Why try to dance ballet in logging boots?” (Thanks, Pete. 😉)
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, Bach bells are too heavy as they are without intentionally adding more.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

If you’ve ever heard the Chicago Symphony live, you’d learn that the brass does not play “loud”, what they do play is clear. Even at their “loudest”, they are striving for clarity, not volume. Anyone can blast, but to do what they do requires a concept of sound that requires finesse and a dedication to a clear sound full of core. That’s why they get the big bucks and why they will spend years holding multiple auditions for a position to find a player that understands their concept.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I remember in the 1980's a lesson from a symphony guy that had a heavy bell Bach.

He only used it for the biggest/ loudest stuff. He did not like it, but said he needed it sometimes.

Must have been a 80's thing that went with the leisure suit.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
LOJZ

Post by LOJZ »

thanks for all your comments-as I thought,I will try to find only G bell option
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

Definitely try before you buy! As mentioned above the regular Bach Gold brass bell is quite heavy. Perhaps keep an eye out for a Light weight gold bell, they crop up on the 2nd hand market from time to time.
LOJZ

Post by LOJZ »

Will do-thanks-anyway- how is that model signed- 42 GLT or ?
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

LOJZ wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 am Will do-thanks-anyway- how is that model signed- 42 GLT or ?
The bell will say "42G" and have a star stamped on it which signifies it's lightweight.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

chromebone wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:10 amIf you’ve ever heard the Chicago Symphony live, you’d learn that the brass does not play “loud”, what they do play is clear. Even at their “loudest”, they are striving for clarity, not volume. Anyone can blast, but to do what they do requires a concept of sound that requires finesse and a dedication to a clear sound full of core. That’s why they get the big bucks and why they will spend years holding multiple auditions for a position to find a player that understands their concept.
I never said it played louder. Heavyweight bells just have the "potential" to play louder. The heavier the bell, the more volume it takes to get it to the edge of where it starts to distort and sound bad.

And yes I'm also aware that Jay Friedman plays a lightweight Gold brass bell. However he's also someone with incredible abilities as well as incredible levels of experience. That would allow one to control the easier to distort lightweight bell with ease.

For the rest of us, if we're being required to maintain a higher volume level without it sounding horrible, heavier equipment helps.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

I have been told by the Conn/Bach rep, that the "lightweight" 42 bell with a star is the same gauge as a 42 yellow bell. I have one off of a Greenhoe and it plays beautifully..
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

In the wild days of the mid 90s, I bought a GH bell flare. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, for some sentimental reasons, I will never sell this flare, but I will note that it does not even fit any of my neckpipes or valve sections that I have for a 42. I have parts to fix that, I have had time to fix that, but it has not cracked the top half of the to-do list in the last decade.

In general, I would say that we waste too much energy trying to make an interesting sound on heavy equipment that could be be more efficiently used on anything else. They aren't louder. They aren't easier to play loud. Maybe it feels that way, but it almost never is ACTUALLY that way out in the seats. Another interesting place where I feel the feedback from the horn to the player does not match the sound on the other side of the bell.

Cheers,
Andy
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Yeah, I find that I just like lighter equipment. The heavier stuff doesn't feedback as well. Playing loud takes the same effort, regardless of the setup. Might actually take more effort on a heavier setup, but I don't know of any real way to quantify that.

If I recall though, aren't the sought after "Chocolate" Bach 36 bells somewhat heavier in construction?

Return to “Instruments”