If, when, and how to try a different mouthpiece?

dbwhitaker

If, when, and how to try a different mouthpiece?

Post by dbwhitaker »

The only mouthpiece I've used since I bought a bass trombone is the Bach 1.5G that came with it. I've only been playing again for 6 months after a very long break. Should I even consider trying another mouthpiece now? If so, how would I go about deciding what to try? Do people know right away if a mouthpiece is good or bad for them, or does it take extended time to decide? Do I have to buy one "blind" or are they ways to try before purchase?
Burgerbob

Re: If, when, and how to try a different mouthpiece?

Post by Burgerbob »

When you are sure it's holding you back in some major aspect, start looking for something new.

Until then, practice and enjoy!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

So I too played years ago and started back 8 years ago. Only played tenor and only on a Schilke 50. WOW was it limiting, I bought many used mps off the forums just too experiment. You won’t know if what you are using is right till you try others. I have experimented with mostly Schilke but have branched out to Doug Elliot’s also. My teacher who is an excellent player is constantly changing n seeking. Doug is an excellent resource and hit it dead nuts with the mps I needed on my DG bass. He gives Skype lessons and is worth every penny.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

One advantage to using Doug Elliott mouthpieces is the modularity, which sure helps when you're experimenting. Another is the man himself, who is a wealth of information. You might want to contact him for guidance, which likely will cut down on time and expense.

You could also purchase mouthpieces that are similar to yours and see if you find one that suits you better. That route can be expensive, and open up a Pandora's box. Ok, the search itself will likely do that!

You could also take lessons with a local pro and get their opinion as to whether a mp switch is desirable.

In the end, it is helpful to have an idea of what you're looking for in a mp, otherwise you'll go into the price blindly.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

dbwhitaker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:36 am The only mouthpiece I've used since I bought a bass trombone is the Bach 1.5G that came with it. I've only been playing again for 6 months after a very long break. Should I even consider trying another mouthpiece now? If so, how would I go about deciding what to try? Do people know right away if a mouthpiece is good or bad for them, or does it take extended time to decide? Do I have to buy one "blind" or are they ways to try before purchase?
I'd almost guarantee that 6 months is not long enough to know if you need a mouthpiece change. You haven't even begun to explore what a 1 1/2 G can do for you.

I also feel that you need a new mouthpiece when the one you are using is holding you back. I'd strongly doubt that this is the case now.

Many members go to huge mouthpieces on bass thinking it's necessary to play the lower pedals and double pedals (and triple pedals). Most of the playing you do with a bass trombone is in the same range as a tenor trombone. So you need something that will not only give you those low notes but also allow you to play in the upper register. The venerable 1.5 G size is a great compromise for this.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

You might not “need” a new mouthpiece, depending on your sound concept, playing needs, and physical characteristics. Many people spend their lives playing on a 1 1/2G and make it work. Others, for any of the above and other reasons, find that something larger or even smaller works better for them. Take some time, take some lessons. Get feedback from your peers and the pros around you. Then make an informed decision.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

dbwhitaker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:36 am Do I have to buy one "blind" or are they ways to try before purchase?
You can certainly try before purchase. Any brass store will let you try mouthpieces.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Since your Bach 1-1/2C is a viable mouthpiece, play it until you can identify a valid, compelling reason to change. If you practice and play properly, the 1-1/2C will probably serve you well for at the very least many years to come.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

The only reason to abstain from trying new mouthpieces is to save money. My philosophy is try as many as you can, so you can figure out what you like and what you don't (which can be a valuable lesson as well).

You won't shake the suspicion that your 1.5G is holding you back until you try a Schilke 60 and fall in.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

The older I get, the harder it is for me to switch mouthpieces. I used to be able to acclimate to different rims pretty quickly. Now it takes me 10s if not 100s of hours of face time to figure them out. I tend to know within an hour or so if there is something there that is worth pursuing, however. There has to be a sound or feel that can make you want to do it again.

As for the how, I just do standard warm-ups. Though probably slowed down and paying a lot more attention to what is happening at the face and out the bell. Only after I am comfortable do I then play in front of others... then you have to see how what is coming out the bell there is received.

I still fool around when I find something new, although I have mostly stopped spending money because I always come back to the same Doug Elliott I've played for almost two decades now. Doug and I talked about this piece for about 10-15 minutes, maybe as much as a half hour, and I haven't found anything that does it better since. Not for lack of trying or spending money; just find them, work them into the rotation for a few months, and then compare to the DE and the new (to me) piece always seems to lose. I have some interesting special pieces that are fun to play, but they almost never make it outside of a practice session where I want to learn something. I do advise buying a few "artist" model pieces, like a Yeo, a Vernon, or whatnot to see what works for them. Can be very enlightening, but I would caution against using them unless you work through them to see if they work for you. Their needs as a player are different from most of us.

Cheers,
Andy
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate all of the diverse (and sometimes opposing) advice and opinions. (Similar to the very long thread about the 1.5G from a while back). I'm going to keep practicing. And maybe try another mouthpiece or two at some point.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would also stick with the 1.5G for now. I have been playing bass for years now, and a 1.5 G from Faxx is still the one I usually work on with Bass.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

As a relative beginner, coming back to playing for only a few months, I would say you are in no position to make any judgement about what works or doesn't. Stick with what you have for now - it's totally reasonable.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”