Carbon slide for TIS horns

Fruitysloth

Carbon slide for TIS horns

Post by Fruitysloth »

Has anybody tried to get a carbon slide for a TIS horn? I feel this would be a super useful balance between the people who love the response of a TIS horn, without the slide being as heavy as it is. I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
TheBoneRanger

Re: Carbon slide for TIS horns

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I think much of the magic of a TIS horn comes from the mass of the slide. Kanstul used to make a TIS slide which was incredibly light, and for mine, that horn never really captured the sound and feel of a great TIS horn. I suspect carbon would be similar...

Andrew
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

Honestly I think with how well designed M&W and greenhoe TIS slides are they don't even feel much heavier.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've got a Kanstul TIS and found myself wondering about a carbon fiber option as well. Weight is one of the common complaints against TIS slides. I'm not sure that the sound differences caused by mass distribution make it much past the player. I could adjust to the difference in feedback to get the weight and maneuverability benefits.
Inspector71

Post by Inspector71 »

It's really a balancing act and, like anything else, depends on the player. Typically, a light bell/bell section works best with a heavier slide. The reverse is also true. It doesn't really matter, in my opinion, if it is TIS or TIB.
THEN as soon as you say that some big name player come out playing the exact opposite and sounds fantastic.

MDM
Michael D. McLemore
Former Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

One challenge would be the TIS mechanism. The inner slide tube dimensions of a Carbon Fiber slide are very precise and smooth because it's wrapped on a mandrel. The outer slide tube dimensions, not so much. You'd need to have an outer surface that is very smooth and consistent so that the tuning mechanism could slide on its external surface.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

doctortrombone wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 am One challenge would be the TIS mechanism. The inner slide tube dimensions of a Carbon Fiber slide are very precise and smooth because it's wrapped on a mandrel. The outer slide tube dimensions, not so much. You'd need to have an outer surface that is very smooth and consistent so that the tuning mechanism could slide on its external surface.
Meh. They manage to make inner and outer main tuning slides, and inner tuning slides for attachments. Looks like they have that fitment problem already handled. A TIS mechanism doesn’t need to be any more precise than that.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Modification & Repair”