Loud metronomes?

Lornix

Loud metronomes?

Post by Lornix »

My brass quintet has tried using cell phone metronome apps - but has generally found that the speakers on the cell phone are too puny to stand up to the combined output of 5 brass instruments. Does anyone have suggestions for metronomes that are easily portable and put out enough volume to be useful for a brass group? Thanks
Burgerbob

Re: Loud metronomes?

Post by Burgerbob »

Bluetooth speaker plus the cell phone will make it loud enough.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Lornix

Post by Lornix »

We actually tried a bluetooth speaker - but our trombone player likes using the visual display on the phone, and we discovered that there was a lag between the time indicated by the visual display and the audio clicks through the speaker. We might try experiment a bit more with this though.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Lornix wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 am We actually tried a bluetooth speaker - but our trombone player likes using the visual display on the phone, and we discovered that there was a lag between the time indicated by the visual display and the audio clicks through the speaker. We might try experiment a bit more with this though.
Interesting! I never thought to test that out with my bluetooth speaker. I found a nice article on this:

https://www.soundguys.com/android-bluet ... ncy-22732/

Many Bluetooth speakers have an AUX IN port, though. You may be able to run a cable from your phone's headphone output to your speaker's input port, and that at least will eliminate the extra processing needed to send info over Bluetooth.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Placing your phone with the speaker against a sound-reflective surface (e.g. phone placed on a solid music stand, with the speaker facing into the stand rather than outwards) helps a lot. If that doesn't work, then a good analog metronome plugged into speakers won't have the same delay issues as a phone tends to have (some phones have a slight delay between the visual display and the sound when using metronome apps even without external speakers or Bluetooth involved...)
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Just use a cable and a real speaker
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

The Franz makes a really effective "clack". Like a good hat it cuts through most anything.

sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Lornix wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 am We actually tried a bluetooth speaker - but our trombone player likes using the visual display on the phone, and we discovered that there was a lag between the time indicated by the visual display and the audio clicks through the speaker. We might try experiment a bit more with this though.
Lag won't matter if the trombone player gets his head out of his ... screen ... and starts playing with the rest of the group.
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:46 pm Just use a cable and a real speaker
Exactly. I have a Kong tuner/metronome wired to a little Roland cube amp. It can be very loud.
slidewriter

Post by slidewriter »

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these:
https://www.soundbrenner.com/shop/

I play in a loud funk band so I'm hesitant to add a blaring metronome to an already loud mix. Plus I'd imagine feeling the beat would be more beneficial for me personally.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I downloaded a metronome app on iPad. Use a 1/8" to 1/4" patch cord into an old 15 watt guitar amp. It's as load as you want it! I also use the set up for practicing with play-a-long tracks!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I play in a group where the leader broadcasts his cell phone metronome over a loud speaker system, and it's loud enough for an 8 piece ensemble. It works.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

slidewriter wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 am I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these:
https://www.soundbrenner.com/shop/

I play in a loud funk band so I'm hesitant to add a blaring metronome to an already loud mix. Plus I'd imagine feeling the beat would be more beneficial for me personally.
This seems a silly idea. You have a drummer. Listen to him as everybody in the band. You cant get a better metronome.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Use a cable instead of a Bluetooth connection. It seems like they all have a 3.5mm plug.

Return to “Technology”