Does Marcus Bonna make custom bags?

bcschipper

Does Marcus Bonna make custom bags?

Post by bcschipper »

Does Marcus Bonna make custom bags? I need a double trombone bag for a tenor and alto but the slide of the tenor is larger than normal (35 inch). Moreover, I would prefer that the alto is below the tenor as it is less often used. (In their standard case, the alto is on top of the tenor.) They don’t say anything about custom bags on their website.

Glenn Cronkite is useless in this regard. They won’t even respond to my inquiries. They would just need to make a larger slide compartment in their otherwise standard double bag. The space should be enough (at least from what I can gather from around the internet). Rather disappointing this company.
bassclef

Re: Does Marcus Bonna make custom bags?

Post by bassclef »

Unlike Marcus Bonna, Cronkhite does have something to say about custom bags on their website.

Presumably, this is to save people from such disappointment:

> Your company is called "Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases". Why can't you make me a custom case?

Glenn was very good at making patterns very quickly, and he was famous for taking on almost anything. He told us once that he estimated he’d made 15,000 to 20,000 patterns in his lifetime. We can make patterns, but at least for now, we have to get through all of his stock items, and then through the remaining string, harp, bass, guitar, and drum bags. We won’t be able to even think about adding this service until after all of these items have been gone through, produced, photographed, and added to this website.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

I am fully aware of the content of Cronkhite‘s website. That‘s why they are useless in regard to custom bags.

It‘s really a problem. With a standard trombone, you got at least 50 bags/cases to choose from. But with a German trombone that has a longer slide you got one bag from Bags of Spain (only sold in Germany) and one case from Kariso (only sold in Germany). There is no double trombone bag for German trombones. So if Cronkhite would start making custom bags (actually just customized by a few inches), they could really make difference. But at the moment, they are even unable to tell me whether their contrabass trombone bag would fit my slide.

My hunch is that their double trombone bag is actually large enough. Just the part receiving the slides must be a little longer. The longer slide compartment should still fit to the rest of the bag as it sits diagonal in the bag. May be I should just buy one and ask a saddler or similar to build me a slightly larger copy or just a slightly larger slide receiver. But it feels like that Cronkhite is leaving money at the table but not offering it. I cannot believe that their would not be a price for which they are willing to make a slightly larger version of their double trombone bag.

Bags of Spain makes some double trombone bags (one of them, a very nice one, seems to be only sold in Germany as well). They told me within 13 hours that they cannot customize it for German trombone.

My last hope was that Marcus Bonna would make custom cases (a slightly larger version of their double trombone case) but it seems they don’t do custom cases.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

bcschipper wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm
Bags of Spain makes some double trombone bags (one of them, a very nice one, seems to be only sold in Germany as well). They told me within 13 hours that they cannot customize it for German trombone.
Got a link to that very nice bag only sold in Germany?

There is still hope :-) Try to contact Ciro Basili. He can build any bag you want. I had him build one for my bass trombone and I am very happy with it. Great quality.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 pm
bcschipper wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm
Got a link to that very nice bag only sold in Germany?
Here is the link: https://www.musical-bags.de/Blechblasin ... r::48.html

What I like about it is that the alto is beneath the tenor. Makes a lot of sense as I use more often the tenor and always warm up with the tenor first. The exterior of the bag is very similar to another one I got for a single trombone. They are made quite well.

cozzagiorgi wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 pm There is still hope :-) Try to contact Ciro Basili. He can build any bag you want. I had him build one for my bass trombone and I am very happy with it. Great quality.
I heard repeatedly about Ciro Basili but I cannot find any contact details/website. Do you have any contact information?
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

bcschipper wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:57 am
I heard repeatedly about Ciro Basili but I cannot find any contact details/website. Do you have any contact information?
I'll pm you his email.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

bassclef wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:31 pm
> Your company is called "Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases". Why can't you make me a custom case?

Glenn was very good at making patterns very quickly, and he was famous for taking on almost anything. We won’t be able to even think about adding this service...

Presumably, this is to save people from such disappointment...
"Glenn Cronkhite Custom Case (replicas) -- faithful reproductions of someone else's custom case"

I'm surprised they put that up on their site. That takes guts. I haven't seen a new GC case since the change over, but I know the old ones were very well made indeed.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

I heard only good things about both the old and new bags.

The statement on their website just shows that there is frequent demand in custom bags. It is even more surprising then that they do not even try to satisfy the demand given their brand name. It is like refusing the realize the potential of their business. Why not hire more people and train them properly?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I think you are overestimating the amount of money to be made in this business. If they are plenty busy with where they are at, probably is better to leave a few bucks on the table.

Is Altieri still an option? They used to be very flexible for custom builds.

Cheers,
Andy
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Altieri has been redesigning their bags for brass for a long time. Nothing available for brass until that's done
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, they had to hire someone new to sew slide pockets at Altieri if nothing else. I inquired about a custom contra bag a few months ago.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

To the OP, the answer is yes, Marcus Bonna makes custom cases....when he feels like it! You might not be able to get him to make a custom version of the double trombone case design that significantly departs from the original, but you might have more luck with a straight rectangular design like the baroque trumpet/sackbut ones which he can more easily make in any size. Might end up being very bulky though given the size of German bells.

In any case though you can't order direct from him, you need to go through a dealer.

Some of the German makers might be able to put you in touch with obscure small production custom case makers though.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen

Return to “Accessories”