YBL 822/622 removable 2nd valve stuck

GMB

YBL 822/622 removable 2nd valve stuck

Post by GMB »

So I got an 822 a while ago, it's the Yamaha dependent bass trombone with removable 2nd valve, but the tubing to take the 2nd valve off is stuck, as in it doesn't even budge. My tech saw he could get it off for me (he knows the right way to hit things) but said it would almost certainly get stuck again after a while when I put it back on so I decided on not going through with removing it. I didn't think of asking him at the time what if I greased it up, but I was wondering whether anyone else has had a similar problem and any fixes besides taking it back under warranty. I remember a classified post (not sure if on this forum or another place) where a guy was selling his 822 or 622 and in the ad he said he had the same problem.
tbonesullivan

Re: YBL 822/622 removable 2nd valve stuck

Post by tbonesullivan »

Get stuck again? What has happened is most likely dried out lubricant, or corrosion lock. I don't see how it could get locked again if properly lubricated and cleaned after it is released.

It's just a more complicated version of a stuck tuning slide. I am kinda obsessive about regreasing my tuning slides yearly, as well as always pushing them back in all the way when I'm done, because I hate getting the grease on my cases.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
GMB

Post by GMB »

Just an update, my tech got the valve out today (that was painful to watch). There are no visible signs of corrosion but the tubes were completely dry so he lubed them up well with a lighter lube. Along with having tighter tolerances than the tuning slides (probably due to being much shorter), they are probably the slightest bit out of alignment since putting the tubes individually they move a lot easier than both at once.

Anyway, I brought the horn home, took the valve off again and set it up for single valve usage for the first time, what a difference in weight (though obviously front-heavy now)! It also speaks noticeably easier with the valve actuated. I'll probably keep it this way until nutcracker-season ends.

As far as the 2nd valve goes I'll change it out every so often just to make sure things keep moving (I think even if I never move it the lube will still dry up eventually).
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Might be a good idea to get in the habit of moving it a little every day you get your horn out. Not removing the valve altogether, but just moving in a little (1/4"~6mm) to make sure that it is not getting stuck in one place.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Instruments”