Trombonist who fly with trombone on a regular basis--attn!!!!

ttf_Lenze

Post by ttf_Lenze »

Quote from: captscotty on Dec 05, 2008, 05:40PMLooks like it would be better to FedEx the thing straight to your hotel then. Surely it wouldn't be $150 anywhere in the US anyway.

$55, a little less with USPS depending on the value.

Question is though if these extra fees are stricty enforced. I can't really imagine that - wouldn't that include every slightly larger (but still 'regular') suitcase?

I mean I could grind my teeth for the one flight, but after ten such fees I'd have paid the current 2nd hand value of the instrument   Image
ttf_BFW

Post by ttf_BFW »

Quote from: captscotty on Dec 05, 2008, 05:40PMI just got back from Bogota this Wednesday. Off walks this lady with a string instrument over her shoulder that looked like a mandolin body (kind of round too) and about a 4 foot neck!!! Could it have been a Sitar?
Theorbo, perhaps?

ttf_captscotty

Post by ttf_captscotty »

Brian,

That HAD to be it. Very cool..

Scotty
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

I just flew out to Elkhorn. It involved four flights. I was able to carry on my trombone in an Edwards hard case for all four flights. The only flight that might have been an issue was the Canadier regional jet. It wouldn't fit in the over head but luckily there wasn't many people on the flight so I just stuck it in the seat behind me. The airlines I flew on were Delta and United. Good luck!
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

Took an American Airlines regional jet and was prepared to have to drop it in the jetway for gatecheck along with the baby stollers etc - but the airline lady tagging the bags asked me what type of instrument it was - when I told her trombone she said to take it on the plane and tell them she said to put it in a closet (which they very politely did) - the flight attendant asked me what it was then said good thing it wasn't a woodwind because she'd make me check it! Wow - polite an with good sense of humor too! Usually on puddle jumpers I have to gate check it - like tomorrow on my way to Vancouver BC...
ttf_bachbone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

Just flew with SouthWest airlines and I could fit my big edwards case in the overhead compartment
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

which model plane was it (delta 88, 737, etc...) last time i flew southwest i couldn't fit the SKB i had and they had to stow it in the locker up front.
ttf_bachbone

Post by ttf_bachbone »

ttf_Richard Tadaki

Post by ttf_Richard Tadaki »

I haven't travelled with my Williams 6 for the past 18 years but prior to that I travelled with it all the time.  The 6 was in a King coffin case and, while the case is not pretty beat up from all the travelling, it kept my ax nice and safe.  Unfortunately the case is now falling apart -- end handle is broken, latches are broken -- so I'm looking to buy a Tank in case I need to travel with it again.  I understand it will withstand the rigors of travel.

BTW, according to Horn Guys say this about the SKB 462 Universal Pro Tenor Trombone Case:  "Indestructible looking case, worthy of checking on a flight."  Sounds pretty good. 

Also BTW, I usually check my instrument at the gate.  Occasionally I've been allowed to carry my horn on and put it in the overhead.  The coffin case used to fit.  I don't know about today...
ttf_JBledsoe

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Apr 23, 2009, 12:31AMwhich model plane was it (delta 88, 737, etc...) last time i flew southwest i couldn't fit the SKB i had and they had to stow it in the locker up front.

I had a similar experience with the SKB meant for large tenors. It will only fit in the largest planes. I really like flying southwest because with their boarding procedure I can make sure I get on the plane early. This usually makes no difference though, as Southwest does not charge for checked baggage so people arent trying to carry on everything they possibly can.

ttf_terrihubble

Post by ttf_terrihubble »

Quote from: Dennis K. on Nov 01, 2007, 07:07AMI recommend flying with this guy:
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/ShareElias/?action=view&current=cargo.flv

Oh man!  I was rolling on the floor!  That video is hilarious! Thanks for posting it!
ttf_johngsteel

Post by ttf_johngsteel »

That is one way to get a head.

Image Image Image
ttf_terrihubble

Post by ttf_terrihubble »

How about this guy.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo   Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: captscotty on Oct 09, 2008, 12:58AMHi all! First post for me...

Look, as an airline captain for Delta Air Lines, I wish more musicians would ask to say "Hi" to the Captain when boarding. If I know there is a fellow musician (especially lower brass player) I will make sure we accommodate your valuable instrument. Flight attendants don't have the appreciation for the importance of your axe generally to help you like they should. If you see me standing at the gate podium looking all important and everything (hehehehe) just come up and introduce yourself. I'll make sure right then we accommodate your instrument.

Also, you might ask the gate agent if you can board early to protect your instrument. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, right? Tell them you're with the Atlanta Symphony or something...Lastly, if things go south and they're trying to make you check it, you MUST ask to touch base with the Captain at that point...just try to avoid that last minute, frantic scramble. It is unacceptable to put your 'bone' in danger down below!!!

Good luck!
Scotty, how are your high F's?  I played one at FL370 last week Image

I'll second the comments above. Since 9/11 we have lost a lot of contact with our passengers. I might be 'old school' but I still think that my airline pays my salary because my passengers had a choice, and bought tickets on our airline.

Need some help? It's nice to be asked. If you are nice to my cabin crew, and you ask politely, I will do my best to help a fellow musician. I can even authorise a complimentary beverage or two, to 'smooth' the flight!

The cabin crew that you talk to and who relay your request to the Captain should be customer oriented people, but they are paid to be there for safety first, compliance with rules second, and customer convenience..... third. Cabin Crew and gate agents don't have much latitude in varying the rules. Captains are paid to exercise judgement, and keep our "BS detectors" in a fine state of tune. So be nice, be patient, and don't try to BS us.

Generally, we'd like to help, if we can. We like to meet and help interesting passengers, and most pilots admire musicians. Getting to a good paying pilot job is not that different to being a successful musician. You aren't measured by how well you talk a game. Like musicians, we had to pay our dues, work our way up, and be prepared to put on the performance of a lifetime when circumstances demand it. Ask Sullenberger!

We generally like to meet and help interesting passengers. Just don't BS us. We get enough of that from airline management Image

Be nice.  Turn up in plenty of time.  No "BS".

And... some days we are just plain busy managing the myriad threats to safety and trying to keep your flight on schedule.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

At 35,000 feet, that would really be a "high F".
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

As of today, this was on the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

The 3rd paragraph is the problem:

Pack brass instruments in your checked baggage.

There is quite a bit about size and length, so on any given you could be in the clear or in for a fight. It's TSA's choice, and it no doubt will vary by airport. They can block you even if your airline allows it, or so it has been in my experience with other carry-on stuff. Heathrow is often problematic too.

I sought this information after hearing Taylor Guitar suggested I print this and take it to the airport.

ttf_captscotty

Post by ttf_captscotty »

Quote from: Nick_Hayes on Jul 30, 2009, 09:56AMScotty, how are your high F's?  I played one at FL370 last week Image
I'm on the comeback trail after a several year layoff. Still can't get higher than a Eb with quality.

...however...just picked up a JinBao alto to bring on my trips. Damn little thing is hard to play in tune, but it will be great to play everyday...now if the hotels will let me use their conference rooms...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The only recent problems I have encountered lately when flying (bringing my 6H in a gig bag along with me) is from fellow passengers. It never seems to fail that some late boarder will try and stuff a roll on suitcase in the overhead that my gig bag is already occupied.

Now I will readily admit that I am mighty blessed that I am able to fly 1st Class (because of my wife's frequent business flights she earns tons of air miles). Sometimes I think that attitudes I encounter are based on resentment from certain passengers using coach.

For instance, on my last flight a late boarder was about to lift up her roll on and try and force in in alongside my gig bag. I politely informed her that her case would not fit, and that I was carrying a very expensive music instrument that I would not want to see damaged.

Her response?

"Is that extra spaced reserved for just you, or do you want to carry my bag in your lap??"

I replied that I didn't appreciate her rudeness, but course it just continued. At this point, my dear wife stood up and pushed the "call help" button. Strangely enough she suddenly decided to continue her walk back to where she was seated.

I was tempted to ask if the reason she was flying commercial. Was her broom broken?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone flying with a horn these holidays?

I am going to Boston and NYC on Christmas till the end of the first week in January, and I was originally planning to bring my trombone to play and jam with friends. However I got a little worried so I started to research how feasible it would be to carry on my horn and it looks more and more unlikely. I will be flying Virgin America but it looks like the flight may be a bit full. Not to mention they charge for checked baggage now so I'm pretty sure most people will try to bring as many carry-ons to avoid the fee.

So tentatively I've changed my plan to NOT bring my horn on my flight. At least when I'm in NYC I have a friend that has an extra horn he can let me borrow, but of course it would have been nice to play my own. I guess my point was, is it worth to save the hassle of not bringing a horn or should I reconsider trying to haggle the airline staff to let me carry on my horn? The only other carry on I have is a small backpack.

ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

With the attempted terrorist attack on the Northwest flight from Amsterdam, I would expect that the hassles on carry-on luggage will increase again.

I don't have trips scheduled, but it always follows.
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

I just traveled from San Diego to Lubbock, TX. I purchased a Chronchite 2 piece gig bag last minute and turned out my slide section didn't fit! I got the Lg bore trombone one for my new Shires horn....so FYI the TW47 slide does NOT fit in the slide holder...the slide for my 88-H barely fit!

So, I ended up putting my horn in my gig bag and putting that in my SKB golf bag. Taped the latches, put several notes inside (plus additional duct tape), put foam and our winter jackets around the case. No problems getting here. I took all accessories out of the case...and it ended up they didn't open it.  Image

But with the issues yesterday I don't know if that will happen on the way back. I will do my best to make sure that I can be present if the need to open it to prevent any damage from it being put back in the case wrong etc.

So wish me luck for my return trip. I have to say that when properly packed the golf bag is a great option.
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: Torobone on Dec 26, 2009, 08:27AMWith the attempted terrorist attack on the Northwest flight from Amsterdam, I would expect that the hassles on carry-on luggage will increase again.

I don't have trips scheduled, but it always follows.

Bet on it.

One carry-on, according to many news reports.

What'll it be?

The horn or my non-losable belongings?

The horn or my food...defensive food, seeing as how the stuff served on most airlines is not only awful tasting but laced with so many chemicals I sometimes think that it could be ignited and used as a terrorist weapon.

The horn or my books and laptop that I use to while away the endless flight hours because the movies they show are as poisonous as is the food and the seats are so small, so cramped and so contiguous to the restlessness of others in the same situation that sleep is not an option.

UH oh!!!

Good thing I didn't sell my golf cases.

Ain't getting any better, that's for sure.

The hatred engendered by 100+ years of relatively successful American economic imperialism is not going to go away until the US pulls its snout back offa the world's feeding trough or at least stops trying to bogart the stuff, and "improved security measures" are no better than a band-aid applied to a running sore.

Maybe I'll just refuse to fly.

It worked for John Madden, right?

You know. The fat old football commentator?

Oh.

Wait a minute.

He does something that's really worthwhile.

Sorry.

Nevermind.

Yore friend,

Emily Litella

S.
ttf_LizM

Post by ttf_LizM »

My horn survived my trip unscathed. I also managed to not have them open the case. At the Lubbock, TX airport they just swabbed it...and since it came back 'negative' or whatever the correct outcome is, they didn't need to open it. Do the golf bags not fit through the x ray machines? It certainly fits through the baggage carousel!  Image It just didn't seem that the x rayed it on either trip....Maybe since they think its golf clubs they treat it 'differently' because they would expect lots of metal?
ttf_chromebone

Post by ttf_chromebone »

Has anyone tried to carry on a horn since the Christmas day incident? I am traveling to Mexico on Saturday, and have to decide whether to try to carry it on, or use the golf bag case.
ttf_davetrombizzle

Post by ttf_davetrombizzle »

Quote from: chromebone on Jan 06, 2010, 04:46PMHas anyone tried to carry on a horn since the Christmas day incident? I am traveling to Mexico on Saturday, and have to decide whether to try to carry it on, or use the golf bag case.I actually flew through the Detroit airport the Monday after, carrying my horn in my Marcus Bonna standard tenor case (accessories removed).  The only real problem I've had recently is flying into my hometown and other small airports where you arrive on a tuna-can airplane, and pretty much have to valet check your horn, unless you have a super skinny case.  It's really a crapshoot as to whether you get good treatment.  That being said, this time was okay... Whenever I've exhausted my options: overhead bin is too small, no space in the flight attendant closet, I always talk to the valet person(s) kindly and make sure they know I'm a musician with an expensive trombone, and to please hand check it.  You just can't assume they're going to know not to throw your case down the chute and smash it on the cart, only to be crushed under everybody else's over-sized bags, and to arrive back to you with a soaking wet cover because they left the baggage cart out in the rain for too long.  Yes that's happened to me and I have the scars on my MB case to prove it.  I've had really good luck with that case though.

I think it's of utmost importance to treat airline personnel as kindly as possible.  I dig the musings of Steve Ferguson and Sam Burtis regarding airline travel, and have used some of those strategies to success.  The two things that really help me are, carry your trombone case literally vertical against your outside leg as you're checking your ticket.  The less the airline personnel SEE your horn, the less tempted they'll be to say: "You're gonna have to check that."

Also, get your butt to the front of the line when they call your boarding zone.  These days it costs $20 to check a bag, so EVERYBODY's carrying more schtuff on the plane.  If you're the last person on board, you may end up SOL.

But finally in answer to your question... I didn't have any problem.  MB case, not a gig bag though.
ttf_Trombone Samurai

Post by ttf_Trombone Samurai »

The last flight I went on, the overhead bins were full, so the flight attendant said that they had a small closet toward the front of the plane that they let me put it into. This was a US airways 757.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

On the flight back from Vancouver (With United and their related carriers, Air Canada, United Express, etc...)

I had to check everything.  My laptop bag (a backpack) had stuff other than my laptop in it so i took my laptop out and carried it on the plane.

The horn - even explaining it was damaged on the way up to YVR (in an SKB see United Breaks Trombones thread) - of course had to be checked. 

This was just for international flights as far as I know.  When i got to SEA I saw the normal contingent of guys and gals with their violins, guitars, etc... so I assume the check everything is just an international flight precaution.  It appears they aren't doing that domestically.

As a side note - my flight from SEA to DEN was delayed for 4 hours (severe mechanical issues with the plane Image ) so when i finally got to Denver i had to bunk at a La Quinta Inn for the night - not as ratty as some others I've stayed at and across the street from a Ruby Tuesdays - or TGIFridays - one of those joints -had a nice ribeye and a few beers and stumbled through the snow back to my room.

Flew  into OKC yesterday morning and boy are my arms tired.  No extra damage to the horn as far as i can tell.

So here are my United experiences over the last month (in summary)

Damaged horn (HN White 3B bell) and a sqaure foot chunk of molded plastic knocked off of the bell section of my SKB universal tenor case.

4 hour delay in SEA resulting in an overnight in Denver - with a $15 meal voucher that was only good in the airport (thanks jerks - like i really wanted to eat another meal in the airport.)  So for taking away half a day from me and setting my schedule back about a day I get a night in a La Quinta Inn and a $15 meal voucher.   I remember getting free flights for being asked to give up my seat and transfer to another flight leaving an hour later only a few years ago.  Obviously they don't care about my business. 

If they do right with taking care of the horn business (that was on Air Canada's end - the paperwork anyway) then I'll post a much more glowing review - right now I'm not impressed.

Z
ttf_chromebone

Post by ttf_chromebone »

I have noticed that Air Canada has reacted (overreacted?) with more stringent measures than most other airlines.I have heard other stories like this about flights coming to the US from Canada. Delta is alowing one regular carry on. At least that's what they told me on the phone.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: chromebone on Jan 08, 2010, 11:34AMI have noticed that Air Canada has reacted (overreacted?) with more stringent measures than most other airlines.I have heard other stories like this about flights coming to the US from Canada. Delta is alowing one regular carry on. At least that's what they told me on the phone.

My understanding is the US officials, including the TSA, have asked all airlines going to the US from Canada to step up security. This is not Air Canada's decision.

I also believe that flights within Canada and to other international destinations are not subject to these rules.

And yes, as a Toronto resident who flies to the US a lot, the most stringent US regulations are adopted here and then sometimes surpassed.  Image
ttf_JacobGarchik

Post by ttf_JacobGarchik »

More bad news:
"Storing Carry-On Bags is a Competitive Sport"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/travel/31praccarryon.html?8dpc

for those of us who prefer to sneak trombones onboard, renewed vigilance from the overhead size under-estimaters, aka flight crew.

from the article:

QuoteNo one has felt the brunt of the checked bag fees more than flight attendants, who are often forced to police the overhead bins for bags too big to fit.QuoteAmerican has newly designed bag sizers at every gate to allow customers to check for themselves if their bags will fit onboard. Most airlines now routinely remind customers of carry-on policies online and over the public address system at the gate and onboard. US Airways said it has employees who watch for oversize carry-ons at security checkpoints and ask customers to check the bag at the ticket counter. And some, including Spirit and American, have begun to actively solicit customers to gate check their bags for free to alleviate congestion and speed boarding.QuoteTim Smith, a spokesman for American, said that while free gate checks may be offered, it’s not standard procedure. In an e-mail message, he said that there were “multiple stops” along the check-in process where airline and security personnel can watch for bags that are not properly sized for carry-on, and that if a customer tries to gate check such a bag, it would still be subject to checked bag fees.
Is this the start of the era of the mass-produced screw bell horns in tiny cases?

ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

There you go, get a quadro bone, and adapt the bell to screw-on.
http://www.musicmarketprod.com/quadro.asp

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: davetrombizzle on Jan 06, 2010, 05:39PMWhenever I've exhausted my options: overhead bin is too small, no space in the flight attendant closet, I always talk to the valet person(s) kindly and make sure they know I'm a musician with an expensive trombone, and to please hand check it.  You just can't assume they're going to know not to throw your case down the chute and smash it on the cart, only to be crushed under everybody else's over-sized bags, and to arrive back to you with a soaking wet cover because they left the baggage cart out in the rain for too long.

Actually think you could assume they will throw your case down the chute.  Especially if it's some extra heavy, bulky flight case.

This thread makes me laugh.  I play bari, but am thinking about giving the bass trombone another try - partly because, after a disastrous gate check, I don't want to fly with my bari ever again!  Baggage checking a trombone does not worry me, maybe it should.

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

i don't really understand why it would be less disastrous to check a bass trombone than it would be to check a bari?  Yeah, there's more stuff to &^%$ up on a bari, and a tiny pin-sized dent on a slide can render a trombone virtually un-playable in any professional situation.

as a guy who has had his fair share of bad checking experiences, i'll say it one mo' time for all involved:

GET A TANK - or something similar.  ABS molded plastic, Fiberglass, these are not strong enough for the steroid-enhanced baggage bashers we have today. 
ttf_Richard Tadaki

Post by ttf_Richard Tadaki »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Mar 13, 2010, 12:15PM[snip]

as a guy who has had his fair share of bad checking experiences, i'll say it one mo' time for all involved:

GET A TANK - or something similar.  ABS molded plastic, Fiberglass, these are not strong enough for the steroid-enhanced baggage bashers we have today. 

I have a Tank but after reading that an SKB 462 Pro Tenor case was air travel worthy, I bought a couple of those for the horns I was most likely to travel with.  However, after hearing Zac's story about his SKB 462 being cracked open, I've completely changed my mind about traveling with the SKB.  I will entrust my horns to the airlines with nothing less than a Tank.

Aloha,
Richard
ttf_John Beers Jr.

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Mar 13, 2010, 12:15PMi don't really understand why it would be less disastrous to check a bass trombone than it would be to check a bari?  Yeah, there's more stuff to &^%$ up on a bari, and a tiny pin-sized dent on a slide can render a trombone virtually un-playable in any professional situation.

Aren't most baritone cases form-fit anyway, and the stock cases higher "quality" than you tend to see in trombones? The YEP321 case fits like a glove. So does every Besson Euph case I've seen. My bass's stock Getzen case, or my Conn's Protec (or in fact the original case, which got a nasty hole poked in it, screwing up the bell).

Yeah, no chance in hell- if I ever go flying, I'm investing in a TANK.
ttf_donn

Post by ttf_donn »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Mar 13, 2010, 12:15PMi don't really understand why it would be less disastrous to check a bass trombone than it would be to check a bari?  Yeah, there's more stuff to &^%$ up on a bari, and a tiny pin-sized dent on a slide can render a trombone virtually un-playable in any professional situation.

The bari is a packaging nightmare because there will be a lot of poorly supported weight - it's curly and has stuff sticking out all over.  (And nearly any deformation will make it unplayable.)  I'm guessing that this is a lot more manageable problem with a trombone.

Quoteas a guy who has had his fair share of bad checking experiences, i'll say it one mo' time for all involved:

Maybe you're right.  Thank heavens I don't have to fly anywhere in the near future, but if I did, I would do my best packing job with the original factory case, and baggage check it.  I know that case isn't going to do much, but I suspect a case really can't do much more than a good packing job.  When the big hit happens, your instrument will get bent whether the case is damaged or not, and I think my big new SKB case was more likely to take that hit - because it wasn't easy to handle, and because it looked like it could take the abuse.

(It couldn't - the SKB bari case is made (in China) of pretty lightweight materials.  The aluminum valence looks burly but bends fairly easily, the thin ABS shell pops off, the latches break.  Just from the picture, the 462 trombone case looks more lightweight - which is probably just as well, good for general purpose use if not extreme baggage handling.)
ttf_xtine

Post by ttf_xtine »

So a few weeks ago I successfully flew with my horn as carry on!!

Instead of my big bulky ProTec I put my small King Tempo in the original case which is very slim and compact.

I was flying Southwest. No one hassled me at all, and no one asked or warned me to check it in when I was in the airport. Actually, I got many compliments as even one of the TSA guards was like "my son plays trombone, cool!!" and some people trying to strike up conversations asking if I were a musician, what instrument it was, they said they played another instrument, etc.

As far as getting it in the plane. I had layovers on both stops. I was flying from Burbank to Austin, TX but stopped over Las Vegas both to and from. Two of the four flights were oversold, which made me very nervous because despite checking in early I was always placed in the B or C boarding group, in case there was no room for me to fit my 'bone on the overhead.

There was only one point where the overhead baggage was full. The flight attendants were sympathetic but noted that there was nothing they could do if overhead was full and would force me to check it in. However! They were very nice and managed to move some luggage around and was able to fit it in. Breath of relief. Notably though, Southwest has 2 free check ins, so I'd imagine in a flight where checking baggage costed extra, even more people would try to cram everything they had on a carry on instead of checking in.

Also, next time if I were flying with my 'bone to either upgrade so I board first or get to the airport SUPER EARLY. I would have thought people would have sneered at me trying to bring in a carry on that is technically over regulation size, but most people were understanding or they kept quiet.

It was a bit of a hassle running around with my horn with me, but it was extra reassuring knowing that it was close to me at all times.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I also flew successfully with my horn recently. I put my Shires bass in my bulky Bach 50B woodshell case. I flew to Puerto Rico and back with no damage to the horn. I flew Continental and had to check my horn along with my other luggage.
ttf_Stretch Longarm

I've been successfully carrying my protec case on for over two years - I fly maybe 180 - 240 legs per year. I recently discovered a cool secret...wait, if i tell everyone, it'll ruin it... Image
ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

you can tell me, I won't spread it around, I promise
ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

So i don't know if it's true or not, but my mom told me that some airlines are starting to charge for carry on bags and using the restroom...can anyone confirm this?

ttf_sly fox

Post by ttf_sly fox »

news report of a regional air line charging for carry on

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/06/news/companies/spirit_airlines_carry-on_fee/

and a small british (?) airline charging for use of the loo on short flights

http://www.newser.com/story/85476/discount-airline-close-to-charging-pee-fee.html
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: sly fox on Apr 09, 2010, 03:37PMand a small british (?) airline charging for use of the loo on short flights

http://www.newser.com/story/85476/discount-airline-close-to-charging-pee-fee.html

Ryanair... why am I not surprised.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: sly fox on Apr 09, 2010, 03:37PMnews report of a regional air line charging for carry on

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/06/news/companies/spirit_airlines_carry-on_fee/

and a small british (?) airline charging for use of the loo on short flights

Irish owned but big in UK.
Ryanair are cheap but.....
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Coming soon...

Oxygen use at 35,000 feet, only $10/hour.
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: Stretch Longarm on Apr 11, 2010, 08:04AMComing soon...

Oxygen use at 35,000 feet, only $10/hour.

If Ryanair could charge for oxygen, they would. You know you want some. My Scottish friend flies them regularly, and on a short flight they made 4 trips down the aisle selling various things.

Also, Ryanair saves money on landing fees by using different airports in some locales than one might expect. For example, they use Frankfurt-Hahn airport rather than the Frankfurt am Main airport. Services such as taxis might be limited upon arrival. Just so you know.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

flew delta out of laguardia last weekend.  they took my horn from me as i was boarding my flight and said they were going to check it through.  i offered to gate check it.  they said they only gate check strollers and took the horn. 

i tried to suppress my worry for both flights and found my horn safe in arizona.  so were the electric bass(in a soft case) and the bari sax(in a not-so-solid case).  crisis averted. 

on the way home, we flew continental.  i got my horn on the first flight.  they wanted to take it and check it on my houston connection.  i offered again to have them gate check it.  they instructed me that only strollers are gate checked.  i protested and stated that it was my musical instrument.  she replied, "oh.  you didn't say that at first.  you have the right to have your musical instrument gate checked." 

i felt better after that.  i see what they're doing.  they want to discourage people from getting around their bag fees by gate checking their rollerboards...that they don't need on the plane with them anyway...which is why i can't bring on a trombone that i need to have with me.  hey folks, do you really need to have your underwear with you on the plane?  is it that stressful to let someone handle your clothing?  customers keep bringing these huge rollerboards that exceed every carry-on size indicator in the terminal.  but, my horn is the first thing they go after.  i get it.  i know they need to make money, but the spirit of their policy is not represented by making me check my horn. 

tell 'em you wanna gate check it!
ttf_BassBoneFL

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

I recently had a similar experience. I usually book a seat in the back so I can get on early and get an overhead space. The flight was overbooked and they moved me before check-in (w/o consent) to the front. With the checked bag fees, the overheads filled before the plane was 1/2 boarded.

They were gate checking EVERYTHING, no exceptions. I got the same "stroller only" response until I said it was a musical instrument. Then they said OK. Got it on arrival with the strollers.

Thanks again for the Accord Case, Irvin!!!
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

From 1993-2009, I averaged about 50K air miles per year. The erratic rules and their enforcement caused me a great concern over my carry-on. I still shudder to think of having to check something valuable, where if you get there and it's not or it's ruined, then you might as well not have gone.

I'm one of those guys with a rollaboard, but I assure you mine is under the size limit. I had my old one measured once, and I had to check it. It gave me no satisfaction to find the first rollaboard I saw in the overhead was Exactly the size as mine, and it belonged to a crew member!  Image

I'm glad they let you gate check your horns; that gives me hope.

ttf_Stretch Longarm

I successfully got to Anchorage and back with it three weeks ago, Minneapolis and Fargo last week, and am in Toronto this week. Eleven legs. No issues at all. of course I did need to gate check it on the puddle jumpers between Portland & Seattle, and Portland & Calgary, but nobody hassled me at all.

Knock on wood...

Return to “Instruments”