How do you get back to playing well after not playing

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been in a situation in which I haven't been able to play (hardly at all) for the past 2 weeks. I sound pretty bad, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for getting back to where I was before the hiatus. Thanks!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm assuming that you had some sort of routine before your little break so surely starting that again would be best??
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I am in your situation right now. I will do what I do every practice session - start at the beginning. Long tones, slow lip slurs, deep breathing and  some flow studies, generally ballad type stuff. I will only play for about 30 minutes the first day or two. After that, I feel ready to go with my usual routine.
ttf_SethMatrix

Post by ttf_SethMatrix »

Quote from: trb420 on Apr 29, 2017, 09:46AMI've been in a situation in which I haven't been able to play (hardly at all) for the past 2 weeks. I sound pretty bad, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for getting back to where I was before the hiatus. Thanks!

Well just think about what you want it to sound like and then do that on the horn. Long tones and Lip Slurs.

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: SethMatrix on Apr 29, 2017, 11:25AMWell just think about what you want it to sound like and then do that on the horn. Long tones and Lip Slurs.

Blend with many coffee breaks. Some simple soft melodies always helps. Take your time, don't hurry. Listen some good trombone music for inspiration. Always enjoy whatever you do.

Leif
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: trb420 on Apr 29, 2017, 09:46AMI've been in a situation in which I haven't been able to play (hardly at all) for the past 2 weeks. I sound pretty bad, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for getting back to where I was before the hiatus. Thanks!

Stop playing opera...

Chris Stearn
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: blast on Apr 29, 2017, 02:17PMStop playing opera...

Chris Stearn

+5 And stop watching Oprah......
ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Three suggestions:

1) Long tones
2) Long tones
3) Long tones
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

In what order?

...Geezer
ttf_musicofnote

Post by ttf_musicofnote »

I'm in that position now. I was in the middle of a come back after 3 years of not having played. I'm on vacation now, right in the middle of 2 weeks away from the horn. Then I have 2 weeks to get together for a Big Band concert. I know, that I'll have to find my sound again first. And be comfortable with it. That means middle register and extend that downward, remembering to relax and sue broad slow air, not forced. Since the BB gig only goes up to an f, I'll not worry about anything about an e-flat for the first 3 days. I'll concentrate on just getting the sound I know I had before the vacation. And I will realize, that the endurance I lost will come back, but not by brute force. I'll not worry about slide technique. I knew the charts before I left on vacation, so that'llremain.

My go to exercises are variations of Chichowicz flow exercises of my own design. Also Alan Raph for getting sound and articulation in double-paddle and pedal registers. Then I do a little playing from the Bachmann/Slokar book. Take a 10 minute break and do some etudes from Bordogni.
ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

I was in a situation where I went nearly 4 years without playing a note.  When I finally returned to music, the formula was: Long tones, lip slurs, simple melodies and scales...combined with lots of patience and rest!  In two weeks I was back to about 90% of my previous abilities.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Brad Edwards!
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

Assuming that you were in good playing condition before you took a break, I read something about this many years ago and have tried it often after taking 1-2 weeks off the horn (which I make a point to do every year), it works for me.

First time back, carefully go through an easy warm-up: long tones, easy lip slurs, a few scales. Then, play anything--a solo, an etude, a familiar song--in mid range fff about 3 times. As loud as you can play with a good sound. 15-20 minutes. Put the instrument away, next day go back to your regular practice, just avoid difficult playing (hard lip slurs, wide range, extremely fast stuff, etc) for about a week.

It is a shock technique to your embouchure, breathing, and articulation. Like a long distance runner getting back in shape by running a few fast sprints.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: JP on Apr 30, 2017, 11:45AMAssuming that you were in good playing condition before you took a break, I read something about this many years ago and have tried it often after taking 1-2 weeks off the horn (which I make a point to do every year), it works for me.

First time back, carefully go through an easy warm-up: long tones, easy lip slurs, a few scales. Then, play anything--a solo, an etude, a familiar song--in mid range fff about 3 times. As loud as you can play with a good sound. 15-20 minutes. Put the instrument away, next day go back to your regular practice, just avoid difficult playing (hard lip slurs, wide range, extremely fast stuff, etc) for about a week.

It is a shock technique to your embouchure, breathing, and articulation. Like a long distance runner getting back in shape by running a few fast sprints.

I discovered something similar for myself.  The extreme playing does make a difference for me when I've had to lay off for a bit.   I'd recommend following JP's whole process.  Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Recently just got back from weeks of field training and classroom stuff that left my face weak. I played through the first movement of the Harvest trombone concerto as loud as I could. It is very rough at first but even after a few sessions of this I remembered how to play again. I think it's that it must be played loudly and supported with lots of air to be played at all that it works so well for this purpose!

It should be called the Harvest Warmup Concerto.

best of all the solo part is FREE on the composer's site:

http://www.ostimusic.com/images/SoloTrombone.pdf
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Recently just got back from weeks of field training and classroom stuff that left my face weak. I played through the first movement of the Harvest trombone concerto as loud as I could. It is very rough at first but even after a few sessions of this I remembered how to play again. I think it's that it must be played loudly and supported with lots of air to be played at all that it works so well for this purpose!

It should be called the Harvest Warmup Concerto.

best of all the solo part is FREE on the composer's site:

http://www.ostimusic.com/images/SoloTrombone.pdf

Return to “Practice Room”