Full length leadpipes for tenor/bass??

ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

There is a Wessex alto in the Classifieds that features a full length leadpipe that reduces the upper slide tube bore to 0.525" (a 0.547" single bore slide using a regular length leadpipe).  Has anyone tried this approach on a tenor or bass trombone slide?  What would be the drawbacks?
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Nirschl used to offer something like that on their large-bore tenor w/F.

Thread here:
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=39744.5
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I toyed with having Shires make me one awhile back.  One of the 'problems' is that the upper, outer slide will still be the same size as the outer of the lower slide.  Is that a huge deal? Potentially not, but it won't exactly make a 547/547 horn a 525/547 horn either! But then again, I haven't tried one so I may well be wrong on that front.

ttf_john sandhagen

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

A friend wanted to play his small mouthpiece in is Minick 88, so I found a bit of slide tubing about a foot long that I put a 78H leadpipe in. TADA!

My question is why?  If you are thinking a more conical bore, if you go too far, then it becomes a slide baritone.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

John (or perhaps others who know more about that than I do),

Would a leadpipe such as this be more conical than a dual bore slide or less conical? My thought is that since the outer, upper slide would potentially be smaller than the outer, lower slide that it would be more conical than a really long leadpipe?

ttf_john sandhagen

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

Because of the slide we can only be "dualish".  Only a few trombones have a taper in the slide crook...I guess you could have a 1/2" long position 8 bore slide with tapered crooks... Image

The point of a trombone it to sound bright and noble, present and boisterous, not wide and invisible like a baritone.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: john sandhagen on May 04, 2017, 06:14PMBecause of the slide we can only be "dualish".  Only a few trombones have a taper in the slide crook...I guess you could have a 1/2" long position 8 bore slide with tapered crooks... Image

The point of a trombone it to sound bright and noble, present and boisterous, not wide and invisible like a baritone.

I think an 8 part octaslide would be more reasonable. Just make it all crooks and you rotate it to make it longer. Flawless design!! Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: john sandhagen on May 04, 2017, 06:14PMBecause of the slide we can only be "dualish".  Only a few trombones have a taper in the slide crook...I guess you could have a 1/2" long position 8 bore slide with tapered crooks... Image

I think an 8 part octaslide would be more reasonable. Just make it all crooks and you rotate it to make it longer. Flawless design!! Image

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”