Symptoms of a worn out slide

ttf_Goddardo

Post by ttf_Goddardo »

Hi, I just need a little help trying to work out whether a slide that I use is finally giving up the ghost and, if so, how to eke out its lifespan. The trombone in question was recently serviced, with some minor work done on the slide. I have noticed a couple of things since it has come back:

First (and most worrying for me) is that some of the slide lubricant that accumulates near the stockings is now turning reddish after a little use. This is after the trombone was given a quick bath, and I tend to wipe off the slide lubricant after I finish playing. I have played the instrument for 5-10 hours since getting it back.

Second (and far more annoying) is that the slide is more scratchy than it was beforehand. This occurs between positions 3 and 6, with a couple of points being much louder. The slide may also catch slightly at these points, although not in a way that affects playing. By testing each tube individually (and turning the slide around) I have narrowed the culprit down to one inner tube.

The inner slides are worn, with more wear on the scratchy side. This hasn't affected the slide action before, but there are a couple of patches of brass/gold coloured metal that I cannot guarantee having been there before. However, I would have expected the slide to be awful and loud everywhere if it had gone and the slide moves pretty well. I just want to try and get away from the confounded scraping sound as I am pretty sure that that isn't the sound that most composers wanted in their ballads.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Did you go to a new tech or someone who doesn't do the best work?

Sounds like your slide was in alignment or at least usable and now it is wayyyyy out of alignment.
ttf_Goddardo

Post by ttf_Goddardo »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Yesterday at 11:26 PMDid you go to a new tech or someone who doesn't do the best work?

Sounds like your slide was in alignment or at least usable and now it is wayyyyy out of alignment.

Thankyou for your reply. If it is "just" an alignment issue then I can keep the instrument in its case until I get it looked at. I hadn't used the person before, but they are an experienced technician who was highly recommended by a few trombone players (including my old teacher). Some of the work on other parts of the instrument was very good. Fortunately I live in an area with a few good technicians.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Could be your slide is on its last legs then ): In my experience usually when you get a "scratchy" that sound means something is out of alignment.
ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Was it chem cleaned? Unfortunately, slides can be noisier after they're cleaned because there's no gunk inside to quiet it down anymore. If the chrome is worn off of the inner tubes, you most likely need to rrplace them if you want a "ten out of ten" slide.
ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Was it chem cleaned? Unfortunately, slides can be noisier after they're cleaned because there's no gunk inside to quiet it down anymore. If the chrome is worn off of the inner tubes, you most likely need to rrplace them if you want a "ten out of ten" slide.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”