Verdi - Overture to I Verspri Sicilliani
Puccini - intermezzo to act 3 from Manon Lescaut
Boito - Prologue to Mefistofele

Please let me know,

Thank you!
ttf_BGuttman

Off-Stage Trombone Parts?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I can tell you that the Overture to Nabucco has a chorale played from the orchestra pit (if a performance of the opera) or from the regular orchestra seats (in a concert).

The only Offstage trombone parts I have ever heard are:

Boito's "Mefistofele", music of the spheres part is often done with players scattered around the auditorium
Berlioz "Grand Messe des Mortes" with 4 trombone choirs scattered around the auditorium
Respighi's "Pines of Rome" where there is an ensemble of "filicornos" which can sometimes be trombones and sometimes other instruments -- Respighi never identified exactly what a "filicorno" is.

Even the grand trombone chords for the Statue in "Don Giovanni" are played from the pit.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Berlioz's late (and gigantic) opera Les Troyens has several offstage brass, including a second trombone section.

https://youtu.be/kcNmaTnVVFU
ttf_sterb225

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

Shostakovich's Song of the Forests is a big oratorio with a secondary brass section that is sometimes placed in the audience.
ttf_bbocaner

Post by ttf_bbocaner »

Quote from: BGuttman on May 09, 2017, 10:57AMRespighi's "Pines of Rome" where there is an ensemble of "filicornos" which can sometimes be trombones and sometimes other instruments -- Respighi never identified exactly what a "filicorno" is.

A flicorno (note the correct spelling) is a early 20th century Italian-style brass band instrument. Rotary valves, conical bore. It literally translates to flugelhorn. While trombone is often used in performances, the best commonly available modern substitutes are probably flugelhorns or cornets on the top two parts, british-style baritone horns on the tenor parts, and euphoniums on the bass parts.

And there isn't any indication that they're supposed to be off-stage.
ttf_Max Croot

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi. Many years ago The Sydney Symphony Orchestra was playing an item which had an off stage horn part. When the poor horn player started to play his part an attendant rushed up and said to him, you can't practice our here, can't you hear that there's a concert in there and proceeded to evict him. The management had failed to inform the staff about the off stage horn. Max.
ttf_stanzabone

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Quote from: Max Croot on May 25, 2017, 05:46PMHi. Many years ago The Sydney Symphony Orchestra was playing an item which had an off stage horn part. When the poor horn player started to play his part an attendant rushed up and said to him, you can't practice our here, can't you hear that there's a concert in there and proceeded to evict him. The management had failed to inform the staff about the off stage horn. Max.
Great story! I have heard variations of this, also for years. I think the first time I heard it, it was the trumpet player attempting to play the fanfares in Beethoven's Leonore Overture. It's one of those "If it ain't true it should be" kind of things.  Image
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Happened at the Sacqueboutiers' 40th anniversary concert last October during a  for three cornetts in echo, with one backstage and one outside with the door open. At some point we all heard some yelling about the open door, and for the rest of the piece the 3rd cornett was not heard again...

There's also a good story of the Yale orchestra offstage brass missing their cue in Mahler 2 because they were having beer accross the street and didn't calculate their timing right...
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Happened at the Sacqueboutiers' 40th anniversary concert last October during a  for three cornetts in echo, with one backstage and one outside with the door open. At some point we all heard some yelling about the open door, and for the rest of the piece the 3rd cornett was not heard again...

There's also a good story of the Yale orchestra offstage brass missing their cue in Mahler 2 because they were having beer accross the street and didn't calculate their timing right...

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”