DeBruycker Bass Trombone Bells

ttf_John McKevitt

Post by ttf_John McKevitt »

Has anyone used these B4. I understand they are 25+ years old and only a limited number were made.
The one I came across was 10" in Red Brass in a light gauge. Made in BO Canada,
AS I understand it Mr De Bruycker has passed.
THanks in advance, John McKevitt
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

BO?

Joe was a local legend. Sharman King and Benn Hansen could give you some info.
ttf_John McKevitt

My Mistake  "BC"  British Colombia .Stamped " JD Bruycker  Surrey B C"
They eyes aren't what they use to be
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Columbia

Colombia is a country in S America.
ttf_John McKevitt

I hoped I spelled my name right
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Benn Hansson used to have one of his basses. He should have some more info.
ttf_John McKevitt

T H A N K S
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

I have seen a few of Joe's horns, and have played a few notes on a couple (including Sharman King's bass). They were usually franken-horns - assembled from parts from various manufacturers with one of Joe's bells. Very colorful sounding bells with some quirks. They sometimes had unusual overtone series that didn't line up with the usual expectations on that front. They also were sometimes longer or shorter than stock bells, so the slide/bell relationship was off a bit from what you might be used to. Took some time to adjust for the people that played them. Nice sound, though. There were some good players in B.C. and Alberta playing horns with a DeBruycker bell back in the 80's/90's.

Jim Scott
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Joe only made flares. You had to supply your own slide. He told me once that he used to get slides from Bach but they cut him off.

At one point, nearly all the top players in Vancouver played Joe's bells, typically with a Bach or King slide.
ttf_octavposaune

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

This sounds like my old horn.

Joe never used red brass, he couldn't source small enough amounts of the sheet metal in odd musical instrument alloys, so it was regular brass or copper.  He made 1.5 small bore bells in sterling, the half being a copper and sterling bell.

I got the last horn Joe built right before died in 2005.  9 7/8" thin copper flair, with a small brazing problem on the throat.

Teflon coated aluminum TVI valves, rose valve tubing, redbrass J bend, I built the dual bore Conn 62-80 slide. 

Joes bass bells are medium throated. They are not a copy of any American bass bell, they are bigger that a 70 series Conn smaller than a 50.  My horn was a great Commercial bass. Think in the vain of a Duo Gravis with better valves and a broader sound.

Benn
ttf_John McKevitt

The current owner said you had it previously Ben. Everything she said and you said match exactly. Right down to the brazing issue on the bell.Although her comparison to the Duo Gravis was this, " Think of it as a Duo Gravis on Crack" With all the components I would have thought bigger and better Conn 62H. I am definatley interested in it. I had a set of Ed's back anodized aluminum valves. I don't remember them being Teflon coated. Is that something you did? My valves corroded after 10 years and had to be replaced. For a small charge of $25 each Ed replaced them. It looks great I have only seen pictures of it. Thanks for your input Ben
ttf_octavposaune

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

In the early 2000s Ed Thayer had a teflon coating baked onto his black anodized cores. My old horn has it.

Benn
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

I had a few friends who were lucky enough to have one of his bells. One of the secrets was that he believed that if you had a horn in all one alloy it responded better. No nickle silver on his bells. Just all yellow. A Bach 36 bell by him played like a Bach 42 bell. Super efficient.

The proof that that works is the Olds Ambassador small student tenor. Same size as an Olds Super...but better in almost all ways that a Super or a King 2B, which has a lot of Nickle silver on it.
ttf_Horn Builder

Post by ttf_Horn Builder »

Which goes against the trend of people thinking that a yellow bell should have a gold brass tuning slide, or a gold bell a yellow brass TS....

There is no "right" or "wrong", just different ideas, and sometimes, too many options.

M
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Quote from: Horn Builder on May 18, 2017, 05:25AMThere is no "right" or "wrong", just different ideas, and sometimes, too many options.

Amen.

ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

Quote from: Horn Builder on May 18, 2017, 05:25AMWhich goes against the trend of people thinking that a yellow bell should have a gold brass tuning slide, or a gold bell a yellow brass TS....

There is no "right" or "wrong", just different ideas, and sometimes, too many options.

M
Yeah, custom and modular horns are a nightmare for OCD people like me. I had enough trouble settling on leadpipes and mouthpieces. If I could change out bells, tuning slides, etc etc it would drive me up the wall because of the one question: Is this the best possible configuration for me.

And of course, my favorite tenors are my Bach 42 and Kanstul 1570, which are all yellow brass, except for the inner tubes and fittings. I guess it's definitely a case of go with what works best, not what you THINK will work best.
ttf_John McKevitt

I try to hold No Prejudices or Pre-conceived Expectations when I try something new.
A new horn, bell, leadpipe, mouthpiece,etc...
Whatever Works!
ttf_weedlewee

Post by ttf_weedlewee »

I've got one of the bass bells on my horn right now too. I purchased mine attached to a Bach 50 and have since sold the horn but kept the bell. I have now mounted the bell on my Shires with Trubores and it works great. I've played it next to a Williams bell and it played very similar in my opinion. I also had a chance to compare the bell against a Shires BII 7YM, 7YLW, and the Bollinger bell and they had many similar characteristics. I preferred the DeBruycker bell but that may also be because I've had it for a while and have gotten comfortable with it!
ttf_John McKevitt

Thanks Weedlewee, I bought the Bell and horn complete but I might be returning it to the seller as it is not really for me. It is a 10"Copper bell in a Med -LW gauge.The flare is somewhere between a Bach 50 and a Conn 72H. It features the Thayer Black anodized aluminum valves w/ Teflon Coating. The valves are in excellent condition w/ no corrosion. The setup is inline F/Gb/D. It features a TIS hand slide w/ Gold Brass tubes in a DB 562/580 bore with  wide nickel crook. It is also setup for interchangeable leadpipes with Conn Threaded Collar. It comes with a Bach 50 threaded leadpipe. The Trombone is made in essentially all  High Copper Content Tubing.This is how it was described to me. Think Conn 62H but Bigger and Better. I will have to talk to the seller if it is OK to sell it for them or if they want it returned. I have already paid for it but I have it on approval. Comes with  a Fusion Black/Blue Gig Bag.  John McKevitt
[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] 561 459 9476   Atlanta GA
ttf_John McKevitt

FS DeBruycker/Conn 62H + Bass Trombone $4750 with free shipping in Conus.
PLease see my ad in the "Classifieds " and my previous post here in "Instruments".
John McKevitt
ttf_Braving Music

Post by ttf_Braving Music »

Congrads on your find!
Joe was a true artist and a great guy. Missed by everyone who knew him.    If you have one keep it if you can, they are great bells.rare, but awesome sounding bells.

Not sure how he labeled his bells. I believe all of them were custom for whomever ordered one.
 I do recall, every time we had one made, having drive 12 hrs to Vancouver, and hang out with Joe for a few days, in order to get the bell finished. LOL

Joe built them for us (myself and my first husband Bob Stroup) for the horns we were playing at the time.   
I had my Bass DeBruycker bells on a Yamaha and on an Edwards. The bell that was on my Edwards, I kept when I sold my Edwards.      But it doesn't fit my current horn a King Duo Gravis. 
my current husband will have to assemble a different Bass trb for it or I might sell it. 
Did you end up keeping or selling the horn?

I have a number of his bells. 2 basses and 3 or 4 tenors-  Not sure ,would have to count.

Actually, saw your post was because of googling Joe's name- as, I am thinking of selling a couple of ours'.   
Our tenor bells- small and large bore bells, I believe are all on horns currently.  My husband will know the specs ,
If I sell any of the Tenors,  they will come with the horns they are on.

Best Regards, J   

ttf_John McKevitt

I didn't buy it . It was just not right for me and my needs. Great horn . Light and Responsive.I just posted the FS ad because of the great lengths this person went to getting it to me. It might still be available if anyone is interested. I will get in touch with the owner for you and HOOK you both up. Best wishes , John McKevitt
ttf_John McKevitt

I didn't buy it . It was just not right for me and my needs. Great horn . Light and Responsive.I just posted the FS ad because of the great lengths this person went to getting it to me. It might still be available if anyone is interested. I will get in touch with the owner for you and HOOK you both up. Best wishes , John McKevitt

Return to “Instruments”