Protec Bass/tenor IPac case

ttf_chris612

Post by ttf_chris612 »

Hi all,

I've done some looking around on the forum and the Protec IPac case seems to be a solid case at a decent price. As mentioned in other posts I have a Bach 50 B3 with independent standard rotors and closed wraps with a 9.5 inch bell. I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit a horn similar to this into the IPac tenor case. From their website it seems like it might fit with the second valve and save me some space flying and traveling so if anyone has information on it let me know.

Thanks!  Image

Chris
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Tenor cases usually aren't "tall" enough (the dimension between bell braces) to fit basses.

I fit my single 50B in a Protec tenor case. It barely fit.
ttf_chris612

Post by ttf_chris612 »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Yesterday at 07:45 PMTenor cases usually aren't "tall" enough (the dimension between bell braces) to fit basses.

I fit my single 50B in a Protec tenor case. It barely fit.

Didn't even think about that, good call!

Big fan of your YouTube video is by the way!

Chris
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Thanks!!

And I guess I did word that badly, even if you understood. The dimension between bell and gooseneck/valves.
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

I happen to have both a tenor iPac case and a Bach 50B3O in the shop and so I decided to try them out!  The length of the bell section was actually fine, even with the open wrap tubing.  The bigger issue (no pun intended) is the width of the section.  The 9 1/2" bell fits (barely); however, the width of the valve section as well as the additional width from the 2nd valve trigger assembly was really too tight to fit, even uncomfortably.  With the width of the bell section the slide compartment (which has a semi-rigid padded board separating the slide from the bell section storage) is compressed to the point that I would be very nervous about the slide. 
  If you were looking for something compact but with good protection in the price range of a Protec I might suggest looking at the Fusion Urban trombone case; this will fit up to a 9 1/2" bell, has a separate protected compartment for the slide and is of a similar size to the iPac.  It does not have a wood shell but does have thick 20mm padding.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Doesn't Protec make an IPac case for bass?   I tried a tenor IPac when they first came out.  I don't recall it being a very big tenor case!  But it seemed like a good case. 

Anyone have experience with the bass version?

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: greenbean on May 19, 2017, 08:51AMDoesn't Protec make an IPac case for bass?   I tried a tenor IPac when they first came out.  I don't recall it being a very big tenor case!  But it seemed like a good case. 

yeah, I've got the bass ipac.  I like it - the side pocket holds my K&M stand and the horn fits well (shires w/ axials).  It's a little clumsy in that the velcro straps sometimes get in your way when putting the horn in, and, the case likes to "tip back" when you open it if there is anything in the side pocket. It's also pretty hefty, but not so much so that it's a deterrent.

A good bonus is that if you have a Rath, Hagmann or Bullet Brace, you can leave the whole assembly right on, there is plenty of room.

I'd rate it like an 8/10.  It's good, but not "wow".
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: greenbean on May 19, 2017, 08:51AMDoesn't Protec make an IPac case for bass?   I tried a tenor IPac when they first came out.  I don't recall it being a very big tenor case!  But it seemed like a good case. 

yeah, I've got the bass ipac.  I like it - the side pocket holds my K&M stand and the horn fits well (shires w/ axials).  It's a little clumsy in that the velcro straps sometimes get in your way when putting the horn in, and, the case likes to "tip back" when you open it if there is anything in the side pocket. It's also pretty hefty, but not so much so that it's a deterrent.

A good bonus is that if you have a Rath, Hagmann or Bullet Brace, you can leave the whole assembly right on, there is plenty of room.

I'd rate it like an 8/10.  It's good, but not "wow".

Return to “Accessories”