Greg Black 1G with .312 throat vs Giddings Harwood

ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Hello!

Just wondering if any of you have tried both the fancy new Greg Black 1g with the smaller throat and different backbore, and a Giddings Harwood. How do they compare?

I love my Elliott LB M cup M8 setup but there are times where its hard to lock in for me on the low end. The Harwood fixes that but I don't entirely dig the steel and the blow in the upper register isn't as comfortable as my Elliott though I'm sure that's all stuff I could get used to. I haven't tried one of the new 1g's yet so I thought I'd ask!

Thanks!
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

I can't compare those two at all. I can't compare mouthpieces made of different materials.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

I guess I was wondering about the difference in blow. The sound will of course will be radically different between the two. Spec wise they seem pretty similar on paper...
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I have a friend with one. Personally the Harwood feels shallower, and the rim shape isn't really to my liking.

I feel that the GB design is more refined. The sound is much more interesting. 
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Have you tried a M9 shank? There is also a M10.

Or keep the M8 but try the XB series?
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Will you be at ITF? You can try my GB there if you are.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on May 19, 2017, 08:28PMHave you tried a M9 shank? There is also a M10.

Or keep the M8 but try the XB series?
I've never been a big fan of Doug's 9 shanks. The 9 shanks just never seemed to work as well as the 8 shanks for me.

How is his M10 shank? I've inquired Doug about that but I haven't heard back about it.

I'll have to check out his XB mouthpieces once I hit the lottery Image

Quote from: Burgerbob on May 19, 2017, 09:11PMWill you be at ITF? You can try my GB there if you are.
For sure!

ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

There are too many differences between these mouthpieces to make a simple comparison other than which one you like better.

I would also recommend trying the Doug Elliott XB series. If you find the Harwood difficult in the upper register, you will probably find the Greg Black difficult too. That can be gotten used to, for sure, but you have something you already know and like - why not go for a small change rather than a big one?
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I haven't tried the M10 yet. I'm in such a happy place with my M9 that I don't think anything needs adjusting other than my own playing.  Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

A friend of mine just switched from a Hammond 21XB(I think those were the letters) to an Elliott XB116/M/M10 and really likes it (honeymoon period over!). He just won some military audition with it, I believe Division II.  That doesn't mean the mouthpiece will work for you but others are definitely having success with it!
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: Matt K on Yesterday at 11:27 AMHe just won some military audition with it, I believe Division II. 

What does that mean?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 20, 2017, 06:15PMWhat does that mean?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% sure. Military bands were described to me as having three divisions I, II, and III with I being local, II being regional, and III being national but I don't know if those are official designations.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Dan Hine on May 20, 2017, 06:15PMWhat does that mean?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not 100% sure. Military bands were described to me as having three divisions I, II, and III with I being local, II being regional, and III being national but I don't know if those are official designations.

Return to “Mouthpieces”