6H inner slide tubes: replace or retain

ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

I have been wrestling with the decision of whether or not to replace the inner slide tubes on my late 50's 6H. Visually they actually don't look too bad. But there is a small are of scratchy plating loss on one spot where the stocking begins. If I stay on top of things (cleaning, etc) it moves perfectly fine. But it isn't as low maintenance as it used to be, and nowhere as easy to deal with as other horns I've owned over the years.

I'd come to the conclusion that I would budget the slide replacement. But after consulting with an older veteran trombone player/repairmen friend of mine, I changed my mind.

He pointed out the specs are different now than when my horn was produced. "improvements" have been made in manufacturing slide tubes, etc. And this means that tolerances won't necessarily be the same. And as a result, the sound and playing characteristics will change too. It doesn't mean that it will be worse, but it will be different.

With that in mind, I am staying the course. I can do just fine with my slide as is. I absolutely love the depth of tone and response - it is like no other horn (and no other 6H) that I have owned. So, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When I was playing in Germany I was blessed to spend a lot of time with Bobby (Butter) Burgess (on bands and hanging out). He was a font of great advice. He gave me the same advice regarding changing slide tubes.

RIP Bobby; you were right all along.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Do you use Trombotine or some other cream?  They seem to help scratchy slides A LOT.  I like some of the newer lubes - Yamasnot, Rapid Comfort, Ultrapure - but none work as well as Trombotine when a slide is scratchy.  For me, anyway.  Just a thought...
ttf_slide advantage

Trombotine has been my slide lube of choice for years. And when my slide is cleaned and freshly lubed, it is fine.

I was told that good old superslick is the best for Conn slides. I have several tubs lying around so I may give that a try.
ttf_slide advantage

Another concern when weighing the option of replacing inners is the ability to remove the leadpipe without damaging it. Competent brass techs can do so 99% of the time, but there is always a chance that they can't. And if the leadpipe is damaged or destroyed and it has to be replaced, it would be a crap shoot that the horn will play as it did with the original one.

At this point, I am unwilling to take a chance.
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

How about getting the tube rotated 180 deg so the worn part is not the on the load bearing side?
ttf_slide advantage

Quote from: Lawrie on May 19, 2017, 11:12PMHow about getting the tube rotated 180 deg so the worn part is not the on the load bearing side?

That is a good idea and I've been considering it!
ttf_slide advantage

Quote from: Lawrie on May 19, 2017, 11:12PMHow about getting the tube rotated 180 deg so the worn part is not the on the load bearing side?

That is a good idea and I've been considering it!

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”