Inexpensive Bass Trombone Suggestions

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Open to almost any brands. I'm a rising college freshman so a price under $3000 would be optimal.

Thanks!
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

E-mailed you!
ttf_Cush

Post by ttf_Cush »

Pm sent.
ttf_Carter1016

Post by ttf_Carter1016 »

Still looking for a bass... PM or email me if you have one for sale please! Thanks!
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Have you seen this one? I've never played one but many people like the Holton TR180...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302341265049
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: crazytrombonist505 on Yesterday at 11:14 AMHave you seen this one? I've never played one but many people like the Holton TR180...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302341265049

Looks like a flat E 2nd valve.  I know that Eb and D crooks are available.

Great horn.  Lot of people on here like the TR-180.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 11:19 AMLooks like a flat E 2nd valve.  I know that Eb and D crooks are available.

Oh... I didn't catch that. That being the case, it may not be the best option. Even though the TR180 is a great horn, this TR181 may be a better option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232362332632

Just my two cents...
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Inexpensive often means needing to deal with older technology.  This 180 could easily be made more current with the addition of a crook for a couple of hundred dollars, still well below his price point.  And there's nothing wrong with a flat E 2nd valve for most bass trombone work.
ttf_ntap

Post by ttf_ntap »

Quote from: crazytrombonist505 on Yesterday at 11:23 AMOh... I didn't catch that. That being the case, it may not be the best option. Even though the TR180 is a great horn, this TR181 may be a better option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232362332632

Just my two cents...

Definitely go with the TR180.  Things started to get weird with the 181.

When I briefly owned a 180, I had it converted from Eb to D, but my tech had some extra Holton tubing laying around.  From what I remember, Holton used an odd diameter for their valve tubing, which might make a conversion a tad more cumbersome.  Maybe a tech can weigh in.  I would definitely go with the 180 instrument over the 181.  The 180's are such great horns, especially if you play tenor also (I own an earlier E185).

ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

The 181 is heavily overbraced and, in my opinion, not nearly the horn a 180 can be. However $3300 for the 180 on eBay is way overpriced.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The 180 mentioned in the top of the thread ended around $1500.  Well within OP's price point even if he has a D crook custom made.

I think any 180 or 181 in the $1500 range should be a pretty good deal.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

ttf_JasonDonnelly

Post by ttf_JasonDonnelly »

If "under $3000" is the only real price point/limitation on which horn you want to purchase. You can easily get a used Holton, Conn, or Bach (dependent or independent) for far under that.

Closer to 3k, you might start to see some higher-end horns, but they don't come up quite as often.
ttf_Jhereg

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

We have one for sale currently. Used but recently repaired and made awesome by Mike Corrigan and the crew at BAC Music.

Yamaha 613, the original model, not the H or the G.

https://www.bacmusicshop.com/yamaha-yamaha-613-bass-trombone-pre-owned.html
ttf_Carter1016

Post by ttf_Carter1016 »

Quote from: JasonDonnelly on Yesterday at 07:33 PMIf "under $3000" is the only real price point/limitation on which horn you want to purchase. You can easily get a used Holton, Conn, or Bach (dependent or independent) for far under that.

Closer to 3k, you might start to see some higher-end horns, but they don't come up quite as often.

I've seen a bunch of dependents for sale all over the internet. I've always played on independent set up horns, I'd just prefer not to switch
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Aha!  You didn't say that at first.  So we assumed that Indies OR Dependents were in play.

On a personal note, let me put a plug in for the King 7B (or 8B).  They don't get the respect they deserve.  Similar for the Benge 290.  You should be able to find one of these well below your price point.

Note that there is a Chinese instrument that is a copy of the 7B down to the curved bell brace.  Reports are that if it's a good one it's very good.  But buy from somebody who does the QC for you like Wessex Tubas or Jim Laabs.
ttf_Carter1016

Post by ttf_Carter1016 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 08:24 PMAha!  You didn't say that at first.  So we assumed that Indies OR Dependents were in play.

On a personal note, let me put a plug in for the King 7B (or 8B).  They don't get the respect they deserve.  Similar for the Benge 290.  You should be able to find one of these well below your price point.

Note that there is a Chinese instrument that is a copy of the 7B down to the curved bell brace.  Reports are that if it's a good one it's very good.  But buy from somebody who does the QC for you like Wessex Tubas or Jim Laabs.

My apologies. I've looked into Wessex, but I'm not completely convinced on the quality. Have you played a wessex bass before?
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Quote from: Carter1016 on Yesterday at 08:42 PMMy apologies. I've looked into Wessex, but I'm not completely convinced on the quality. Have you played a wessex bass before?

I've never played a Wessex bass, but I did have a Wessex alto at one point. It was the only alto I have ever had/played, so I really can't compare it to any others. I thought that it was ok, but it definitely wasn't a super high quality horn.

In your case, there are many used bass trombones well with in your price range on eBay and on the forum here including the Holton basses that I linked to above. IMO, I think you would do much better buying a used, well made horn instead of a new, Chinese made horn that is probably not so well made. As Bruce mention above, the 7B is a good option. I play a Benge 290, and I really, really like it!

Maybe someone who has played a Wessex bass will chime in here...

Zach
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: Carter1016 on Jun 10, 2017, 08:42PMMy apologies. I've looked into Wessex, but I'm not completely convinced on the quality. Have you played a wessex bass before?

If you can hang on for a few months  there is a new Wessex bass coming. Designed by me it will be a real change for the mid price sector. Better playing than many horns costing thousands more. The production prototype was awesome. Build quality is excellent... best I have seen from that factory. I signed off that prototype and production should start soon. I cannot say more before the Wessex launch.
Chris Stearn
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 10, 2017, 03:46PMThe 180 mentioned in the top of the thread ended around $1500.  Well within OP's price point even if he has a D crook custom made.

I think any 180 or 181 in the $1500 range should be a pretty good deal.
My apologies. Missed that one.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Quote from: blast on Jun 11, 2017, 05:23AMIf you can hang on for a few months  there is a new Wessex bass coming. Designed by me it will be a real change for the mid price sector. Better playing than many horns costing thousands more. The production prototype was awesome. Build quality is excellent... best I have seen from that factory. I signed off that prototype and production should start soon. I cannot say more before the Wessex launch.
Chris Stearn

Coming from Chris this will be worth waiting for!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This has gone far beyond a Classified Ad and there is some good discussion here that shouldn't be lost at the 60 day mark.  I'm going to retitle this and move it to the Instruments section.  OP, feel free to relist your WTB ad.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sent you a PM to your email.  I have a TR 180 with a D slide.  Mike Egan
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: blast on Jun 11, 2017, 05:23AMIf you can hang on for a few months  there is a new Wessex bass coming. Designed by me it will be a real change for the mid price sector. Better playing than many horns costing thousands more. The production prototype was awesome. Build quality is excellent... best I have seen from that factory. I signed off that prototype and production should start soon. I cannot say more before the Wessex launch.
Chris Stearn

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Join the Trombone Marketplace group on FB. There are a couple of nice looking basses listed on there right now well within your price range.

ttf_bbone1

Post by ttf_bbone1 »

My vote goes to a used Yamaha 613, great horn, much underated and not properly advertised back in the day. Very open, feel, great sound.

To my knowledge it was designed with the help of Steve Norrell from the Metropolitan Opera.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Chris Stearn
I don't know if this falls under "cannot say more" but is this horn something that you will actually perform on as like a Wessex Artist or is this just a horn you designed in conjunction with them?
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jun 22, 2017, 05:36PMI don't know if this falls under "cannot say more" but is this horn something that you will actually perform on as like a Wessex Artist or is this just a horn you designed in conjunction with them?

I would be quite happy to use it professionally, but I promised a very old friend that when he died, I would use his trombones. He had a Rath R8 and R9 that are exceptional instruments that anyone would jump at. I will use those for the rest of my career.... they remind me of my friend every day, and were made by friends at Rath, one of whom is also no longer with us. For me, those are not just trombones. No disrespect to Wessex who are great to work with and are making better and better instruments.

Chris Stearn
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

the  vibrations   are  important  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: blast on Yesterday at 01:10 AMI would be quite happy to use it professionally, but I promised a very old friend that when he died, I would use his trombones. He had a Rath R8 and R9 that are exceptional instruments that anyone would jump at. I will use those for the rest of my career.... they remind me of my friend every day, and were made by friends at Rath, one of whom is also no longer with us. For me, those are not just trombones. No disrespect to Wessex who are great to work with and are making better and better instruments.

Chris Stearn

ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

the  vibrations   are  important  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: blast on Yesterday at 01:10 AMI would be quite happy to use it professionally, but I promised a very old friend that when he died, I would use his trombones. He had a Rath R8 and R9 that are exceptional instruments that anyone would jump at. I will use those for the rest of my career.... they remind me of my friend every day, and were made by friends at Rath, one of whom is also no longer with us. For me, those are not just trombones. No disrespect to Wessex who are great to work with and are making better and better instruments.

Chris Stearn

Return to “Instruments”