Silver Polish Differences?

ttf_EarlNeedham

Post by ttf_EarlNeedham »

So I've got this trombone.  Silver plated, and it says "2B" on it, as well as "Liberty".  Blows easy, nice, sounds great.

But it's a little bit in need of a polish.  Last time I used it, my left hand had some black on it when I had finished.

Now -- shades of the old Trombotine versus Slide O Mix discussions (and just does Guinness fit in here!), but -- are all silver polishes alike???

I have some stuff already here called TarniShield, or I could buy some Wright's downtown.  Is either one of them better than the other?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Some polishes are more abrasive than others.  Generally a cream is more abrasive than a liquid, but there is also a difference in liquids.

If you have deep tarnishes, you may need a more abrasive polish to get them out (if you even can).  But be careful; the aggressive polish will remove any gold wash you have in the bell.

Most polishes will remove the black stuff from the surface of the silver, but will not leave a protective layer to slow subsequent tarnish (and hence black stuff transferred to your hands and clothing).

Tarnishield will leave a protective coat but may not be the most aggressive one.

Try the stuff you have and see how well it works.  My personal preference is for the type you apply wet, let dry, and buff off.
ttf_eightyeightH

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

Can you get Goddard's in the states?  The Queen uses it, allegedly.
ttf_DaveBb

Post by ttf_DaveBb »

Quote from: eightyeightH on Jun 07, 2017, 03:05PMCan you get Goddard's in the states?  The Queen uses it, allegedly.

The Queen has a house full of stuff made from solid silver.  The methods she uses might result in accelerated wear of silver plate.

This site has a good overview of types of polish and where they should be used.
http://www.hermansilver.com/silver-polish-abrasion-ratings.htm
ttf_DaveBb

Post by ttf_DaveBb »

Quote from: eightyeightH on Jun 07, 2017, 03:05PMCan you get Goddard's in the states?  The Queen uses it, allegedly.

The Queen has a house full of stuff made from solid silver.  The methods she uses might result in accelerated wear of silver plate.

This site has a good overview of types of polish and where they should be used.
http://www.hermansilver.com/silver-polish-abrasion-ratings.htm

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”