Where within the 1st movement of The David would you use vibrato?

ttf_Noahharry

Post by ttf_Noahharry »

I was wondering where within the 1st Movement of The David Concertino to use vibrato? Also what speed?  I was thinking a fast and not very wide vibrato on half notes or longer.  Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated !!  Image
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I think that's personal. You can use any vibrato that you think is nice for that music. The main thing is to listen a lot and then make up your mind about what vibrato/ no vibrato you like. Maybe try without and then add some vibrato here and there? Too much can be boring or monotone. Too little can be sterile. A little bit here and there can underline your musical expression. Its all about taste and personal expression. Style.

Leif
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Leif is right, it is a personal thing.
I try only to use vibrato in the rests. Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This question reminds me of the Yacht question: If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

If you need to ask this question, don't use vibrato.  You will score a lot higher in the auditions with no vibrato than too much.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

I would say, on any longish note that you want, although preferably carefully selected ones that you think should be highlighted. Use vibrato as a way to color specific notes. Also, listen to great singers and the way they use vibrato (and non vibrato). They rarely use vibrato that stays the same speed and width throughout - it usually evolves through the note.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

I would say, on any longish note that you want, although preferably carefully selected ones that you think should be highlighted. Use vibrato as a way to color specific notes. Also, listen to great singers and the way they use vibrato (and non vibrato). They rarely use vibrato that stays the same speed and width throughout - it usually evolves through the note.

Return to “Practice Room”