Forget quality, listen to the volume!

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 12, 2017, 09:56AMI had wondered about that and now I have a theory:

The trombone has more "presence" in the upper register (at least up to high C).  The bass trombone is much bigger than the tenor trombone.  So this puts the poor 2nd Trombone at a disadvantage.  For maximum volume you can double the 2nd trombone part so it balances the 1st and bass when they are at "blastissimo".

Of course if you are only using 3 players it might be a good idea to ask the 1st and Bass to dial it back just a little... Image

Good points/observations. In one of the ensembles I play in, we have four trombones. So, we typically double 2nd.
ttf_Hicks

Post by ttf_Hicks »

I did a gig with a local orchestra on Saturday, which included New World Symphony.
Got to say it was a refreshing change to play in a section which didn't go OTT with volume. Sometimes the 1st trom tends to let rip and show what he can do. Not this time. Nice controlled, balanced section sound. Smack in tune. Wonderful stuff, and a pleasure to be part of.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Hicks on Jun 26, 2017, 07:51AMI did a gig with a local orchestra on Saturday, which included New World Symphony.
Got to say it was a refreshing change to play in a section which didn't go OTT with volume. Sometimes the 1st trom tends to let rip and show what he can do. Not this time. Nice controlled, balanced section sound. Smack in tune. Wonderful stuff, and a pleasure to be part of.

Did they have a tuba there for the 18 notes in the 2nd Movement?  At least half the time we don't use one; other times the Tuba player will play misc. percussion (triangle in 3rd mvt and one cymbal crash in the 4th).
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 26, 2017, 10:50AMDid they have a tuba there for the 18 notes in the 2nd Movement? 

Did some enterprising soul write 4 new notes for the tuba?   Image
ttf_Hicks

Post by ttf_Hicks »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 26, 2017, 10:50AMDid they have a tuba there for the 18 notes in the 2nd Movement?  At least half the time we don't use one; other times the Tuba player will play misc. percussion (triangle in 3rd mvt and one cymbal crash in the 4th).

No, and that would have been the icing on the cake. But if there are only a handful of notes for tuba to play, I can fully understand why nobody was there, or they didn't bother asking anyone. But oh my, that extra depth would have made such a sublime sound in the gorgeous acoustics of the church.

ttf_Hicks

Post by ttf_Hicks »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 26, 2017, 10:50AMDid they have a tuba there for the 18 notes in the 2nd Movement?  At least half the time we don't use one; other times the Tuba player will play misc. percussion (triangle in 3rd mvt and one cymbal crash in the 4th).

No, and that would have been the icing on the cake. But if there are only a handful of notes for tuba to play, I can fully understand why nobody was there, or they didn't bother asking anyone. But oh my, that extra depth would have made such a sublime sound in the gorgeous acoustics of the church.

Return to “Practice Room”