A new trombone improv method book without scales or patterns?

ttf_jazzaltobone

Post by ttf_jazzaltobone »

Last year, I posted to the forum that I was writing and recording a new method for trombone improvisation. One of the guys replied that the last thing the world needs is another book of jazz licks in all 12 keys.

I wrote then that I couldn't agree more, and I'm happy to report that I've created pretty much the opposite.

It's called Trombone Improvisation Savvy and it was published today. You'll probably enjoy previewing a few pages.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/michael-lake/trombone-improvisation-savvy/paperback/product-23218015.html
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: jazzaltobone on Jun 10, 2017, 10:10PMOne of the guys replied that the last thing the world needs is another book of jazz licks in all 12 keys.

That may have been me.

This looks good, man.  Any plans to make it available in a downloadable format for the geographically challenged?
ttf_jazzaltobone

Quote from: growlerbox on Jun 11, 2017, 01:22AMThat may have been me.

This looks good, man.  Any plans to make it available in a downloadable format for the geographically challenged?

I think it was you. I've gotten some good mileage from that comment. Thanks! What do you mean by "geographically challenged" that is remedied by a downloadable version?? You can order the physical book to be delivered pretty much anywhere.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Can't wait to get my copy!
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

The preview function isn't working for me (tried on Firefox and Chrome).  Can we obtain the sample pages by email?
ttf_jazzaltobone

Quote from: SilverBone on Jun 11, 2017, 05:17PMThe preview function isn't working for me (tried on Firefox and Chrome).  Can we obtain the sample pages by email?

Silverbone, preview works well for me on Chrome and Firefox Mac. On Chrome, it asked me to update Flash. I did and it worked. I hit the page number buttons on the preview as a way of kicking it to wake it up.

Are you Mac? Sample pages by email is doable but the preview is soooo much easier. If it doesn't work, I'll share something with you, how's that?

Mike
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Thanks, Michael.  I did get the preview to work.  Then I tried to download the files from soundcloud prior to purchasing and ran into problems.

There doesn't seem to be a way to download all of the files at once.  This means that I have to click on each track and download it separately.  I quickly run into the limit of connections to the website, so this means I'd have to babysit the downloads for hours.  Perhaps you intend for the sound files to be used only when practicing?  This won't work very well for people with slow internet connections and/or no way to directly play the files in the practice room (my plan was to download them and burn CDs).

Also, several of the tracks don't seem to have a download link.  Here are a few of them:

Held Blues Chords
Bb Blues Trading Fours
Faster Bb Blues
ML Blackbird Solo @180

Thanks for any guidance.

ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

The preview function didn't work for me either - I am on chrome.

The book description sounds interesting enough, though. I would be interested to view those preview pages too.
ttf_jazzaltobone

Quote from: SilverBone on Jun 11, 2017, 10:49PMThanks, Michael.  I did get the preview to work.  Then I tried to download the files from soundcloud prior to purchasing and ran into problems.

There doesn't seem to be a way to download all of the files at once.  This means that I have to click on each track and download it separately.  I quickly run into the limit of connections to the website, so this means I'd have to babysit the downloads for hours.  Perhaps you intend for the sound files to be used only when practicing?  This won't work very well for people with slow internet connections and/or no way to directly play the files in the practice room (my plan was to download them and burn CDs).

Also, several of the tracks don't seem to have a download link.  Here are a few of them:

Held Blues Chords
Bb Blues Trading Fours
Faster Bb Blues
ML Blackbird Solo @180

Thanks for any guidance.

Okay, I added the download link in each of the files you mentioned. What I will do next is create a zip file containing all the tracks as MP3s corresponding to the Soundcloud playlist. I'll send you a link to the file. Going forward, I'll make that available to everyone with the book. I wasn't sure how many people wouldn't have a sound source connected to their internet connection - and who would want to grab every file. Sorry for the hassle. I'll have it in a day or so. Thanks for the heads up!  - Mike
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

Quote from: jazzaltobone on Jun 11, 2017, 06:12AMI think it was you. I've gotten some good mileage from that comment. Thanks! What do you mean by "geographically challenged" that is remedied by a downloadable version?? You can order the physical book to be delivered pretty much anywhere.

Hey Mike - only that I live in New Zealand and shipping charges from most places are generally pretty to very high.  Where paid-for pdf versions of books like this are available, I tend to grab those.  Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but given that you've gone with the downloadable option for the sound files, it may be a relatively small step to do the same for the book itself.

I understand that electronic formats may increase the risk of piracy, but it's a model adopted by a number of platforms (q-press springs to mind) that seem to thrive nonetheless.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Shane
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Thank you for setting up zip files.  I ordered the book.
ttf_jazzaltobone

Quote from: bonenick on Jun 11, 2017, 11:18PMThe preview function didn't work for me either - I am on chrome.

The book description sounds interesting enough, though. I would be interested to view those preview pages too.

I'm not sure if you've been able to access the preview but I created a PDF preview that you can download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oari6ccnirkekvj/Trombone%20Improvisation%20Savvy%20preview%20for%20site%20FINAL.pdf?dl=1

Mike
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Hi Mike,

I think that it is a flash thing. I couldn't when I first wrote, but few days later I managed to view the preview (I have a setting blocking the automatic activation of the flash plugin instead the browser is supposed to ask me for a permission, but then nothing was happening when clicking on your link). Thanks for your caring  Image
ttf_RobCrowdy

Post by ttf_RobCrowdy »

Now available as a PDF it seems - especially for us antipodeans!

Cheers.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Anybody already using the book? I just ordered one (hard copy). Let me know how you like it.
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

I ordered the hard copy too, in the end.  The shipping costs turned out to be very reasonable.  I'll have to wait, but all good things, as they say.
ttf_growlerbox

Post by ttf_growlerbox »

I ordered the hard copy too, in the end.  The shipping costs turned out to be very reasonable.  I'll have to wait, but all good things, as they say.

Return to “Practice Room”