Alto trill valve

ttf_Molefsky

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Molefsky »

Any thoughts on fabricating a trill valve for a JinBao alto? I assume it's got the 0.488 bore at the bell section. There's also not much room between the bell connector and the main tuning slide...

Just thought it would be interesting to experiment on an inexpensive instrument.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The trill valve is not worth the money it would cost. Lip trills!
ttf_Blowero

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Blowero »

I don't think there's any room. Doesn't the tuning slide leg go all the way down to the brace? I think you would have to put the valve in the tuning slide, and that would be a linkage issue when you have to move the tuning slide. You could activate it with a thong, but I don't know if that would be nimble enough for a trill valve.

It would be cheaper and easier to just buy one of these and cut down the valve tubing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTO-TROMBONE-with-Bb-rotor-/122537669224?hash=item1c87d07268:g:hsgAAOSwlMFZOCQA

ttf_Matt K

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I recall someone doing this to a Brazilian made alto for which the brand name escapes me at the moment. Similar design, they ended up cutting the tuning slide bow and nesting the rotor up there.

Probably not worth it in my opinion, and I like crazy projects  Image

Edit: name was Weril
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

Quote from: Blowero on Jun 11, 2017, 09:17AMI don't think there's any room. Doesn't the tuning slide leg go all the way down to the brace? I think you would have to put the valve in the tuning slide, and that would be a linkage issue when you have to move the tuning slide. You could activate it with a thong, but I don't know if that would be nimble enough for a trill valve.

It would be cheaper and easier to just buy one of these and cut down the valve tubing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTO-TROMBONE-with-Bb-rotor-/122537669224?hash=item1c87d07268:g:hsgAAOSwlMFZOCQA

I think that the Thein that this is copied from actually builds the tuning slide down towards the valve, so that the bulk of the b flat attachment tubing moves for tuning. This allows there to be a separate short tuning crook that you can substitute for the b flat section that allows it to work as a trill valve.

Jim Scott
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: Matt K on Jun 11, 2017, 10:58AMI recall someone doing this to a Brazilian made alto for which the brand name escapes me at the moment. Similar design, they ended up cutting the tuning slide bow and nesting the rotor up there.

Probably not worth it in my opinion, and I like crazy projects  Image

Edit: name was Weril

Wasn't the Weril TIS? That may have changed in later years but I had one in 2009-11, and it was TIS.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Trill valve in the tuning slide with a leather strap instead of linkage does work decently. The (really amazing) Courtois has that option, so did the old Yamaha.

I wouldn't go through the trouble though. When I had one, it just delayed my progress in lip trills...
ttf_Matt K

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Le.Tromboniste on Jul 05, 2017, 10:03AMWasn't the Weril TIS? That may have changed in later years but I had one in 2009-11, and it was TIS.

That's correct!   I found the thread... turns out I was the one that started it. Weril was the recommendation, the valve was actually made for a Voight per Blowero's comment from it:

QuoteThis is a Bb plug-in valve I made for my Jurgen Voigt alto from an old 3B valve section. It works very well except that everything from Bb    down plays a bit flat. That horn is a very small bore, so I suspect it's just too much of a difference between the slide bore and the valve bore.
I did end up buying a Conn 36H close to a year later; just sold it a few months ago though. Switched out of music and there was little reason to have an alto when I more sorely needed a bass since was/am actually gigging on bass. 
ttf_Dukesboneman

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

A friend of mine has one of these Altos with the Valve section. Not a bad entry level alto but the valve design is terrible.
The mechanism hits you in the neck every time you depress the valve
ttf_Dukesboneman

Alto trill valve

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

A friend of mine has one of these Altos with the Valve section. Not a bad entry level alto but the valve design is terrible.
The mechanism hits you in the neck every time you depress the valve

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”