Warm up/fundamentals taking time to fully breath or not

ttf_Dixieland57

Post by ttf_Dixieland57 »

Hi, when you open a book like remington, Michael Davis or something like this, between each position of an exercice it never are marked a time for taking a breath, it's because the exercice must be played like that or it's allowed to take one or two beat for taking a big breath?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Many of these exercises are intended to increase the notes you get on one breath.  Sometimes you just won't be able to play on one breath, and should work to be able to do more.

When you play loud you will find that your breath doesn't last like it does when you play soft.  You may also find that when you are playing a small bore trombone with a small mouthpiece your breath goes a lot farther than on a big bass.

Take a breath when you need to take a breath, but always aspire to play a phrase in one breath.  Learn to breathe when you can to still make it musical.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

It's all about sound. Get the roundest, most open sound you can get that it smoothly connected to the next note without blips or bumps. Play the phrases as long as you can with great sound. Breath when you must, but the goal should be completion of the phrase in one breath, with great sound.

We can spend a lifetime working on those exercises, but we should also see pretty steady improvements.

...Geezer
ttf_Dixieland57

Post by ttf_Dixieland57 »

Yeah I know but for exemple when you do long tones like Bflat A, Bflat Aflat, Bflat G etc each note 4 count it's better to shortened the 4 beat of the second note or to really get to the end of the 4th beat and take a beat to breath well?  
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I cheat the end of the last note if I must and sometimes I must. That way I have something by which to measure my progress forward towards the end of the phrase in one breath. But before I do that, I try to play the whole phrase at a lower dynamic and then build that up as I successfully complete the phrase in one breath.

The 15-Minute Davis book is not hard on which to complete phrases. But if you are playing bass trombone and you are on the 20-Minute book, you may have to breath where you need to on some of them regardless of what you do. I believe he states so at the front of that book. Even on tenor, I can't complete the phrases yet on Super 9ths. In fact, I can't even do the slurs yet. I have to legato-tongue them. Baby steps.

...Geezer
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Quote from: Dixieland57 on Jun 11, 2017, 05:27AMYeah I know but for exemple when you do long tones like Bflat A, Bflat Aflat, Bflat G etc each note 4 count it's better to shortened the 4 beat of the second note or to really get to the end of the 4th beat and take a beat to breath well?  

IMHO it's better to add a beat or two of breath after the completion of 2 whole notes and to not cut the second off. Especially when the exercise is done with a metronome, the end of a note is just as important as the start, and both starting and ending in time should be part of the exercise.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Do them both ways and any other way you can think of to attack from all angles. When it comes to the range-building exercise in the 15-Minute book, I turn off the play-along and use a 'nome. Then I extend the exercise as far past high Bb as I can a couple of times before starting the play-along again for the Warm-Down exercise. Or not, as I fancy benefits me in any given session.

All of this and anything else anyone comes up with - under the guidance of your instructor, of course. If your instructor tells you not to do something some way, then don't do it that way.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Do them both ways and any other way you can think of to attack from all angles. When it comes to the range-building exercise in the 15-Minute book, I turn off the play-along and use a 'nome. Then I extend the exercise as far past high Bb as I can a couple of times before starting the play-along again for the Warm-Down exercise. Or not, as I fancy benefits me in any given session.

All of this and anything else anyone comes up with - under the guidance of your instructor, of course. If your instructor tells you not to do something some way, then don't do it that way.

...Geezer

Return to “Practice Room”