Beauty and the Beast range

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

The school where I played Shrek this Spring is asking me about doing BATB next year. The web site says tenor - bass and tuba. I sold my bass and don't really play tuba. Should I tell them no or is it mostly tenor and maybe I can just take some stuff up an octave? I would like to play as these guys actually pay fairly well.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I played it but they handed me the horn part, dunno about trombone since we didn't use one.

The horn part was certainly playable.  Even for me.  Occasional bass clef in F, though, I cheated and wrote in the note names.  Who can read that stuff? 
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

These guys are renting the full orchestration.
ttf_Schultz

Post by ttf_Schultz »

If its the full 19 piece orchestration then the part is bass trombone and tuba. There are also 2 trumpets and 3 horns in the section. If it's the slightly smaller version with 1 tpt 1 horn and 1 tbn, then it's the tenor, bass and tuba book.
There are some fiddly exposed tuba parts, and it's really a bass trombone book. Quite a few prominent pedal A's and G's (just rummaged around and found my old copy of the bass/tuba part which i played over 10years ago)...it's very much a bass part. Lot's in the valve register, low B's etc. It's great fun to play!
ttf_Max Croot

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi. I played the whole show on Bass trom. Not much tuba work and there wasn't enough room in the pit for a tuba anyway. If it's a school production and the conductor is agreeable I think you could do most of it on a large bore tenor with just a few bits up the octave and a bit of cunning. The only problem I had was getting the mutes too sound OK on the very low register. It's a fun show to play. Cheers. Max
ttf_Max Croot

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi. I played the whole show on Bass trom. Not much tuba work and there wasn't enough room in the pit for a tuba anyway. If it's a school production and the conductor is agreeable I think you could do most of it on a large bore tenor with just a few bits up the octave and a bit of cunning. The only problem I had was getting the mutes too sound OK on the very low register. It's a fun show to play. Cheers. Max

Return to “Performance”