Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

ttf_anonymous

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I know there have been many threads about this horn but I want to add my 2 cents. I have my Martin handcraft Comittee in for an extensive overhaul and needed another horn so I picked up the Yamaha YSL-354. I am astounded at this student horn. It slots easily, I can get tone color, it can take volume and the slide is great for a student horn. Frankly I'm very surprised!
ttf_anonymous

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

They pretty well nailed it with that horn.  Amazing value for the price.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

It is a remarkably open-sounding horn from low to high!

...Geezer
ttf_DaveAshley

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I've said the same thing for years! Great horns!!

I have one at home (I'm on a ship 9-10 months a year). I'm hoping to pull the leadpipe on mine this summer and try out some others. It's something I've always wanted to do.

ttf_oslide

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_oslide »

I hope this is not considered as hijacking this thread -
but this option of changing a YSL-354's leadpipe has been mentioned several times during the last years and is a very tempting idea, given the said overall quality of this horn (and I too have one that I'm very fond of).

However I can't remember having read about any recommendations of, or personal experiences with, specific leadpipes. Anyone who can contribute in this regard?

Thanks a lot!

ttf_DaveAshley

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

I'll be sure to share my thoughts after I have this done (assuming it's possible to pull the current pipe without damaging anything).  My best guess it's that I'll like the Kanstul H6 pipe, even though that's not my favorite on my Lawler. I'll be trying an H6, Kanstul S, a nickel Shires #2, and a couple of other unnamed pipes I have. I plan to buy a Kanstul W6 soon as well. 

ttf_oslide

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_oslide »

Sounds great. Looking forward to your review. Thanks!
ttf_Alex

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_Alex »

Taking all things in to consideration, quality/price/consistency/longevity etc, the Yamaha 354 has to be right up there as one of the best small bore horns ever.
ttf_BillO

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_BillO »

Ahhh. Image   This thread is making me feel bad about trading in my YSL-354 on another horn recently.  I did get 4 times as much for it than I paid, but that is only money.  The only thing is, I stopped playing it once I started renting a XO Brass Fedchock model (the trombone I traded in on) so I figured it would only stay in the closet if I kept it after buying the other one.  Better have a nice horn like that in a player's hands than in the dark. Image

I think I have myself convinced...  Image
ttf_anonymous

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BillO on Today at 08:27 AMThe only thing is, I stopped playing it once I started renting a XO Brass Fedchock model (the trombone I traded in on)
Care to say a few words about how the two compare? I was toying with the idea too.
ttf_BillO

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: stk on Today at 09:13 AMCare to say a few words about how the two compare? I was toying with the idea too.
Have you had a chance to play the XO 1632?  If you can arrange it, give it a try.

For me it has a much warmer sound.  Much easier to color than the Yamaha and a little more freedom in the slotting to get the tonal expression you want.  It's more responsive too, providing really clean articulations at pp volumes and beautiful lips slurs and trills.  The tonal quality responds well to dynamics, but here is the only drawback I can find to the Yamaha - it will play FFF if you want, but it's not as pleasant at those dynamics as the Yamaha will be.  If marching band or peeling paint off walls is your thing, you may or may not like the XO.  However, beyond that it's a real cheater horn.  My range goes up a major 2nd just by blowing on it rather than any other horn I have, and it takes very little air to make it sing to F(+) dynamics...  Where it really shines for me is playing fluid smokey ballads. MMmm-mmm!

Physically it's even lighter than a King Jiggs Whigham and the slide is like magic.  It seems to just go where you point it without effort.  The build is 2nd to none and the finish is flawless.  IT also come in a great lightweight case and includes a small removable counterweight.  If you ever get the chance to try do.
ttf_davdud101

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Love my 354! I've been considering making strides to look for a valve section (like on the 354V), it'd be nice to have the option of a valve trombone when there's little room at a gig (or if it might just be a little more sound-desirable). They seem prohibitively expensive as I'd be paying easily 4 to 5 times what I paid for the whole horn when I got it.
ttf_Euphanasia

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Alex on Jun 21, 2017, 03:15AMTaking all things in to consideration, quality/price/consistency/longevity etc, the Yamaha 354 has to be right up there as one of the best small bore horns ever.

I'm not so sold on longevity and quality. The earlier models were prone to chrome peel on the slides and red rot in the slide tubing. Mine needed both inners and outers.
ttf_renbaroque

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_renbaroque »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Yesterday at 09:24 AMI'm not so sold on longevity and quality. The earlier models were prone to chrome peel on the slides and red rot in the slide tubing. Mine needed both inners and outers.

I've heard that (never seen one with that problem in person), but then again that issue had been solved for at least the last quarter of a century. Put me on the solidly impressed-by-354 crowd.
ttf_BillO

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_BillO »

The one I had was supposedly fairly old (bought for his son in grade school - son long gone and raising his family on the other side of the country, yada yada...)and was in 8.5-9.0 condition.  The only reason I take the points off is there was a fair bit of tiny scratching in the lacquer on the bell flare.  Due, I'm sure, to hamfisted cleaning attempts.  You couldn't see the scratching from 3 feet away and there were no dents.  Having said that and according to the seller it had been closeted for a long time.  The slide felt like crap when I tried it out, but a $50 slide job (chem clean + alignment) from my favorite tech had the slide at 10/10.  When I traded it in the tech at L&M said he'd never felt a better slide on a YSL-354.

So, depending on the validity of the story I heard, I think it speaks well for the build of the horn.  I have heard bad things about very early Yamaha student models, but I'm talking late '70s through the '80s.
ttf_FlamingRain

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I only owned a .547 horn until April, which I bought a YSL-354 because it was cheap and I heard it had good reviews. To be fair, I played a school owned one in high school, and it was okay, and I was green then and didn't know what to look for in a horn.

I was not disappointed and for $150 it plays GREAT. Using it for all my jazz work now.

ttf_DaveAshley

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_DaveAshley »

For anyone who somehow has both - the 354 and 697Z slides are interchangeable.
Not sure what other models might have the same connecting bits...
ttf_slide advantage

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

I have heard many times over the years that the YSL354 design was based or at least heavily influenced by the Conn 6H. And there's not a damn thing wrong with that!  Image
ttf_BillO

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: slide advantage on Yesterday at 07:22 PMI have heard many times over the years that the YSL354 design was based or at least heavily influenced by the Conn 6H. And there's not a damn thing wrong with that!  Image
No, not a darn thing.
ttf_Dantheman

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_Dantheman »

I use a 354 lead pipe in my shires and I love the combination.
ttf_MaestroHound

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

Quote from: Dantheman on Jun 24, 2017, 12:09AMI use a 354 lead pipe in my shires and I love the combination.

Yes--as good as 354 with different pipes, its original pipe isn't half bad. And if for any reason you need one, it costs less than $10 new from Hickeys! (Shipping does push it over $10, but still)
ttf_MaestroHound

Yamaha YSL-354 surprise!

Post by ttf_MaestroHound »

Quote from: Dantheman on Jun 24, 2017, 12:09AMI use a 354 lead pipe in my shires and I love the combination.

Yes--as good as 354 with different pipes, its original pipe isn't half bad. And if for any reason you need one, it costs less than $10 new from Hickeys! (Shipping does push it over $10, but still)

Return to “Instruments”