Practicing Soft Playing

ttf_goldentone

Practicing Soft Playing

Post by ttf_goldentone »

In my experience playing soft is almost like therapy for the embouchure. Lately I realized I haven't been practicing enough soft playing. Even my warm ups have been mezzo forte to forte. My chops have been feeling stiff and unresponsive the past week or two. Every time I go back to practicing soft lip slurs and soft attacks my chops tend to feel much better. Anyone else experience this? Expanding on that... what are some techniques or concepts that you think about while playing soft?
ttf_BillO

Practicing Soft Playing

Post by ttf_BillO »

I have to agree.  playing pp is a necessary practice ritual, especially if you ply in a concert band or orchestra.  You need to do this so that articulations, especially on entrances, are honed and tone is consistent.
ttf_anonymous

Practicing Soft Playing

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I agree. For longer periods I can spend 20 to 30 minutes or more a day on soft playing. (This might be 50% of what I do that day...) Right now I am focusing especially on the attacks to get the embouchure responsive, using air attacks a lot.

The material can be the very first pieces in the Arban book or the first in the Schlossberg book, for instance no 8 which also include a slur. 

Right now I find that this influences the rest of my playing very positively.
ttf_watermailonman

Practicing Soft Playing

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: goldentone on Jun 21, 2017, 05:59PMIn my experience playing soft is almost like therapy for the embouchure. Lately I realized I haven't been practicing enough soft playing. Even my warm ups have been mezzo forte to forte. My chops have been feeling stiff and unresponsive the past week or two. Every time I go back to practicing soft lip slurs and soft attacks my chops tend to feel much better. Anyone else experience this? Expanding on that... what are some techniques or concepts that you think about while playing soft?

Yes to practice your softest possible playing. It is more demanding. Very rewarding for control. Extreme nuances in both directions of course but who wants to hear a lot of the extreme loud playing? Practice all nuances. I too find so much can be helped in the technique if you practice soft.

/Tom
ttf_watermailonman

Practicing Soft Playing

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: goldentone on Jun 21, 2017, 05:59PMIn my experience playing soft is almost like therapy for the embouchure. Lately I realized I haven't been practicing enough soft playing. Even my warm ups have been mezzo forte to forte. My chops have been feeling stiff and unresponsive the past week or two. Every time I go back to practicing soft lip slurs and soft attacks my chops tend to feel much better. Anyone else experience this? Expanding on that... what are some techniques or concepts that you think about while playing soft?

Yes to practice your softest possible playing. It is more demanding. Very rewarding for control. Extreme nuances in both directions of course but who wants to hear a lot of the extreme loud playing? Practice all nuances. I too find so much can be helped in the technique if you practice soft.

/Tom

Return to “Practice Room”