Bach/King/Edwards frankenhorn

ttf_klimchak

Post by ttf_klimchak »

So, I have been horn hunting for awhile now, specifically for a smallish horn.  My current playing situations have been mostly 3B SS friendly, but I really do not enjoy playing them on my own.  They work for the gig, but I feel like I
am fighting them and they do not have the sound I am looking for.  Along comes a Bach 16M inner slide, 3B outer, long 16M neckpipe, 3B tuning crook, and an 8" Edwards large tenor yellow brass bell.  I had been eyeing it at dillons for awhile, but when it was discounted tremendously, I took the plunge.

What a fun playing horn with a big Bach sound, but projection and openness of a King.  Probably what Luis Bonilla tried to do with the 36 bell on a 16m.  With the long neckpipe it has a slide/bell correlation similar to the Conn ballroom models.  That may be off-putting to some, but make plunger playing so much easier.  It also makes me listen more.  The workmanship is very well done as well.  It will probably be impossible to sell if I ever decide to, but it really works for me.  No squirrely notes and intonation is pretty typical.  Some partials line up better and the upper register is a lot more accessible than most 3Bs.

Just goes to show you that you never know what will actually work.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

That's a good horn. I played it a few times when I was there. I thought the price was pretty reasonable at what it was, you must have gotten a great price on it!  Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

That's a good horn. I played it a few times when I was there. I thought the price was pretty reasonable at what it was, you must have gotten a great price on it!  Image

Return to “Instruments”