1967 Mirafone Bass Trombone

ttf_seanschramm

Post by ttf_seanschramm »

So I recently found a 1967 Mirafone  Bass Trombone for sale (single trigger, 9.5 bell) for sell and I was curious if it's worth the money to buy ($900). Anyone likes/dislikes it? Let me know!
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I had a double valve one that I wasn't particularly fond of. It was a little bit on the stuffy side for me; however, I was using a 547/562 slide at the time (I'm primarily a tenor) and I was using it in a big band setting. I sold it to someone and managed to get one of Graham Middleton's slides to compliment it... he assembled it from some parts he conveniently had that worked really well - had bronze outer tubes and an oversized nickel crook and it was a much better blow. From what I understand the person who purchased it ended up really liking it for the orchestral stuff they were doing at the time. 

If I were dropping that kind of money on something, I actually would probably first go with a Mack Brass because its in the same pricepoint and comes with a generous return policy if you don't end up liking it within the first few weeks.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Several have sold on eBay in the past year for $500.  Including that one.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

In my experience every Mirafone trombone I've run into has been horrible, including their own ITF exhibits in Europe.

But maybe this one's a gem... Image
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

I bought Matt’s horn. Great slide from Graham. 2nd valve is terrible. The single should be fine. If the valve craps, get an Olsen rotary setup.
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

I bought Matt’s horn. Great slide from Graham. 2nd valve is terrible. The single should be fine. If the valve craps, get an Olsen rotary setup.

Return to “Instruments”