Replacement slide for a New York Bach 6 model. VII

ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

The lead pipe is broken. I notice it plays better if I push the mouthpiece hard into the receiver compared to if I just place it there. I thought of trying the horn with a different new slide before I decide what to do. Is it a replacement slide to fit this horn? It must have the same receiver.  It is a .485

/Tom
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Bach small bore receivers are generally identical going back a very long time. So if you know someone with another Bach slide you could probably give it a shot and see how you like it.

ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: Matt K on Aug 05, 2017, 08:55AMBach small bore receivers are generally identical going back a very long time. So if you know someone with another Bach slide you could probably give it a shot and see how you like it.

Yes, I know that. I have a Mnt. Vernon Bach 12 that fits but it is a .500. It is enough to know that the Bach 6 mod. VII is better with a leadpipe/slide that is not broken, but to come across someone with an original .485 slide over here is not plausible. I did try it with a silver Bach 16 slide but that was not at all close to that neat Bach 6 sound I had in mind. That slide was new and cost $225. A good price but not a good result.  No, I mean if somebody can make a new replacement slide from another brand that fits. I guess Shires make .485 horns but have no clue if that fits a Bach. The choice I have is to send it to a tech and have the leadpipe switched, but then what leadpipe to choose? If they fail it is possible I need two new inners. In any case I will have a totally different horn when returned.

I only paid $450, Thought it was cheap, but did not know about the leadpipe trouble. Do you think it is worth restoring the horn. It will not be a Bach 6 horn without a Bach 6 slide/leadpipe. The result could be better or worse, but not an original New York Bach 6 mod. VII from 1934.

/Tom
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Ah, I see what you are suggesting. You didn't mean just any old slide, you wanted one that was more or less identical.  That's harder because the lengths are a little different, or at least they were on my Mt. Vernon horns - I've owned two small bore Mt. Vernons over the years - compared to contemporary ones.  Although the difference wasn't that much. 

I did have a Shires slide with a small reciever on it. I'm not sure what horn it was intended for but it fit my Bach 6 bell section perfectly. Problem was that it was a 508/525 slide and longer as well as wider than the Bach 9 slide I had that bell section paired with.  It made the Bach 6 bell very flat but it played like a dream as far as how open it was!

Your best option may be to find someone (MK maybe?) who can draw tubes and have them ship that to you and get a local repairperson to replace the upper slide inner + outer as well as the leadpipe.   I did that to a King 3B with good results (added a 2b+ upper) and has the advantage that if you don't like it, you could switch back to the original tube or deal with getting the leadpipe pulled without needing to ship the whole horn somewhere. You could also add a Shires threaded collar to it. It isn't as likely to play like the original but then again, it might work better for you than the original did, although that isn't a totally valid comparison if your mouthpiece receiver is damaged.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Two things. Not sure if you have noticed, but the eeb is crawling with NY 6 vii for sale. Maybe you can buy a spare horn. With all of those horns available, and generally not selling for what they are worth, someone is likely to be willing to make you a deal.

Second, for historical leadpipe reproductions, talk to Noah or Brad from Brass Ark. Don't get paralyzed by the historic aspect of the horn, especially if you're playing it as a main ax. NY 6s are embarrassingly plentiful and available. If you are playing it, maintaining  it is not a crime.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

DJ Kennedy usually has a bunch of 6s in his collection. He may have one with a smashed bell and a pristine slide? I'd give him a shout...
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

DJ Kennedy usually has a bunch of 6s in his collection. He may have one with a smashed bell and a pristine slide? I'd give him a shout...

Return to “Instruments”