China slide on a Bach 42OB??

ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Hi Guys I have a unique question for you.

On deciding to return to playing I decided I wanted to buy me a Cheap F trigger horn without putting a lot of money into it, in case I just didn't continue playing. I got the Schiller copy of a Bach 42 closed wrap. I figured It would be okay to at least build my chops back up. The horn even though it looks well built, the F valve when putting air through it sounds like a cow mooing, and the metal on the bell is so thin that on lower register notes it actually rings. The only bright side was the slide on this horn is amazingly slick and it is nickle plated and light weight.

I recently run across a real Bach Strad 42OB, it had F rotor problems, but I got it for a song. The slide on the Bach is a 8 out of 10. The repair man found one little ding in the outer slide he said that he could fix it right up while he had it. Before I took the 42 to the shop, I started comparing the horns. I noticed the slides were really almost identical with the exception of the Schiller being nickle and the Bach being brass. The Schiller slide fit the Bach! So my question is would you play it with the China slide? Would it cause any issues as far as sound? Is it just a bad idea all the way around?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If it fits and it works, go for it!

You probably won't notice any problems at this point.  Have the Bach slide rehabbed properly to use when you are ready.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If it fits and it works, go for it!

You probably won't notice any problems at this point.  Have the Bach slide rehabbed properly to use when you are ready.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”